Chapter 51 - Blood, bone, and broken heart

'Cut off the head, and the body will flounder. Waste not thy time nor thy breath on the Leviathan herd. Point thy blade at the heart of their master, for from him springs all their messages. Leviathan cannot be slain but by the bone of a righteous mortal, washed in the three bloods of the fallen: a fallen Angel, the ruler of fallen humanity, and the father of the fallen beasts.'

As far as prophetic instructions went, these were actually pretty straightforward. Basically, it said, kill the main honcho, and the rest of the baddies will follow. They already had one ingredient down, thanks to Castiel's contribution; the blood of a fallen angel. The ruler of fallen humanity could only mean a demon high up on the food chain - meaning the King of Hell - but the Winchesters already took care of that as well. If they gathered the other ingredients, Crowley would give them his blood (if not, Allegra could always make him). Two down, two to go.
Dean and Sam were off to find the father of fallen beasts, aka an alpha. But since Crowley got rid of them to find purgatory, pickings were slim. Luckily, he left the vampire alpha alive. So, whilst the brothers went shopping for the blood, Allegra tried to find the final piece of the puzzle; the bone of a righteous mortal. Unfortunately, modern times hadn't brought forth too many of those. The best bet would be someone of the clergy, but even that proved a little more difficult than Allegra had imagined at first. 

Man, these people suck. Bishop who couldn't keep his hands to himself, Mother Superior who makes Miss Trunchbull sound like Fairy Godmother, a novice who read Carrie too many times... Damn hypocritical- oh, hold the phone... Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Allegra's eyes wandered over a page that held records of a recluse nunnery in the middle of nowhere that just so happened to have its own crypt. 

Sister Mary Benedict... too young. Sister Mary Eunice... pass. Sister Mary Constant... huh, looks like we have a winner. 

Allegra closed the record book, finding herself very tempted to take it with her and drop it at a national news station. But she decided against it. She would let someone else start that particular fire. There were more important things to take care of anyway, like going to Mary Constant's grave and getting a bone to make a weapon out of it so they could finally get rid of Dick Roman and his Leviathans. And once that was done...

'Look, Allegra, I... there's something I need to tell you. But I can't right now, not with the others and... and Sam. Can you... meet me back here when all this is done? Please?'

The last thing Allegra wanted was to go back to her childhood home (her previous intentions to stay had definitely gone out the window after taking one last sweep of the area and finding absolutely no supernatural activity whatsoever). But Dean wouldn't have asked her to do so if it wasn't important. He knew how she struggled with her past. Better than anyone, really.

Why did I hug him? Why the hell did I hug him?! He probably thinks we can get back together now.

Well, do you want to get back together with Dean?

No.

Do you want to get together with Sam then?

No.

Liar.

"Oh great, I'm arguing with myself again. Damn Winchesters."

The bitter truth was that Allegra didn't know what she wanted anymore. She felt connected with both brothers, but too much had already happened for it to ever work out with either of them.
On the one hand, there was Dean. There was no denying Allegra still loved him deeply. He was good and gentle and protective... but he hurt her. The minute it got rough, Dean had searched for a way out, finding it in the arms of an Amazon (granted, he'd been tricked, but it was still his own choice to say yes to the bitch). 
And then there was Sam. He was sweeter than Dean and definitely more patient, and he wasn't afraid to say (or at least think) that he was in love with her. There was no denying that Sam would treat her better - as long as Lucifer stayed out of his head anyway. But Allegra couldn't feel for Sam what she felt for Dean.
And there was, of course, the extra problem that no matter which brother she chose, there would always be the lingering question of 'what if'? She'd gone through the suspicions and jealousy with Dean, and Sam was already showing signs of the same behavior.