Prologue - Resurrection

The young woman kept walking through the woods. The sunlight caught her hair between the trees, making her usually dark red hair more copper with a golden shine. It hung loosely around her shoulders, but she'd made sure it wouldn't get caught on her backpack. She didn't own much; her entire life was practically stuffed in that pack. Not that it was much of a life, to begin with.
Always on the run, always hiding from the monsters in the night, always waiting for the next 'assignment.' She hated every minute of it and treasured these rare quiet moments. She tried her best to stay away from cities or even small towns, becoming accustomed to sleeping in woods and abandoned houses, hunting or fishing to eat, bathing in lakes or rivers...
Only in winter did she indulge herself in taking a motel room for a few nights. She worked in bars to earn money for that. Sometimes a bar owner would pity her and allow her to stay in the back room. But she never stayed in the same place too long.

Not because she didn't want to. More than anything, she longed to settle somewhere and be able to call it home. It just wasn't safe to do so. They would never stop coming after her - the monsters, the demons. All because of who, or rather what, she was. She could do both amazing and terrible things. Even after all these years, she still didn't understand her abilities. All she knew was that they were a gift from God, and angels would guide her on her way. That's what her father told her anyway... before he had left her to fend for herself.
She knew her angels by their voices, only seeing them as bright beings of light in her dreams. They were always at her side, watching her, guarding her. She'd fallen prey to demons several times, believing that was it. An angel had always been there to save her in the end. She owed them her life, but she really wished they could tell her just a little bit more about what her powers meant. But they were nothing if not vague. Yet, she felt a little better knowing they were there.

A rustling sound behind the young woman halted her. She heard this sound before but only in her dreams. She knew it to be the soft flutter from the wings of an angel. Slowly, she turned around and found a man, a little older than she was perhaps. He was very handsome, with fair features, enchanting blue eyes, and black hair. He wore a long beige trench coat, a white shirt, and black pants. The tie around his neck just completed the look perfectly somehow.

"Allegra." His voice was strong but kind. "My name is Castiel. I am an angel of the Lord and in need of your help."

Allegra only took a few steps towards him. She hesitated, cautious of a possible demon trap.

"I normally get my assignments from you guys when I sleep. I rarely see you when you possess a vessel, and never this up close. Why the sudden change?"

"Forgive me, but we could not wait any longer," said Castiel. "We need your help retrieving a lost soul. Please take my hand; I will explain further when we get to our destination."

The angel offered his hand. Allegra tried to sense anything evil about him, but there was nothing. His heart was good. And she didn't see the gruesome truth behind his vessel as she saw with demons. She knew she could trust him. She had no choice, really.
The young woman took Castiel's hand, and in the blink of an eye, they were near a clearing. Allegra wasn't entirely sure they were still in the same woods where she'd been only a few moments ago, but that didn't really matter anymore. Her eyes got caught on something a bit further ahead. Did it look like... a grave?
Her questioning eyes met Castiel's. They really were enchanting. He looked at her with a mixture of wonder and confusion. She'd never met him before, not even in her mind, so maybe he wasn't fully aware of what she could do. But she wasn't about to show and tell. She cleared her throat.

"You euhm... said something about a lost soul?"

"Indeed." Castiel's eyes never left her face as he spoke. "His name is Dean Winchester. He sacrificed himself to save his brother. We need him back. He is one of our soldiers, destined for great things."