Chapter 54 - The promise of love leads you home

Six months later

Dean hit the ground with a hard smack. He gasped for breath and groaned. He was sure he had broken a rib in his fall but still managed to scramble up. His eyes searched wildly for the angel of the Lord.

"Cas!"

But the only answer he got was the soft rustling of the tree leaves above him as the wind blew through them.

"Goddammit, Cas... I'm sorry."

They'd been so close. So close to finding a way out of Purgatory together. But Cas hadn't made it to the portal in time. That son of a bitch...
After killing Dick Roman, that Leviathan bastard exploded in black ooze and dragged them to Purgatory. Dean got separated from Castiel (who was suddenly completely sane again) a couple of times and spent so many days and nights running and fighting all kinds of monsters. Only three things had made Dean hold on; his Hunter skills, an unexpected alliance, and the will to get back to the woman he loved.

"Allegra? Allegra, can you hear me?"

Dean held his breath, waiting for some sort of sign. But just like with Castiel, nothing came.

"Dammit! I'll find you, Alley. I just need to know where I am first."

He looked about him again, anxiety creeping up as he took in his surroundings - dark, scary forest, middle of the night, nothing or no one in sight. This was the exact same setting he found himself in months ago upon arriving in Purgatory. Wait, was it even months?
Time passed differently in Hell and Heaven; it was only fair to assume it was the same in Purgatory. It could be days, weeks, months, or even years later! Worse, the portal could have been a hoax or trap, and this could still be Purgatory!
He had to move. He just had to start moving and keep an eye out for anything that might...

"You're back!"

Dean jumped and turned around, ready to defend himself.

"Wow, wow, Dean, easy! You're safe! You're back in the real world!"

A beautiful young woman stood before him. She had long black hair down to her waist, a honeyed complexion, Mediterranean, maybe, and light brown almond-shaped eyes. She was dressed in a lavender-colored sleeveless dress with tiny hearts stitched on the skirt.
The woman held her hands to calm him down. But after God knows how much time in Purgatory, Dean wasn't just about to trust the first person that popped up in front of him.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"My name is Amore. I'm a Cupid."

Dean groaned silently. Meeting the last Cupid had been one time too many. Little butterball had been stark-naked and way too emotional. This chick was definitely an improvement, but why would a Cupid be here for him?

"Dean, I promise you I am only here to help you."

She took a step closer and touched his chest with the tip of her fingers. Dean immediately felt stronger and healthier than he'd been in a long time. The constant pain his body had gone through since falling into Purgatory was just erased.

"You'll probably be hungry," continued Amore. "I'll take you somewhere you can rest and eat and fill you in on everything that's happened here."

"No offense, sister, but I'm not just gonna go off with the first person I encounter after spending way too much time in the freakin' Twilight Zone," said Dean. "I appreciate you healing me, but I can make my own way from here."

"So you don't wanna get back to Allegra then?"

Dean stared at the female Cupid.

"You know Allegra?"