|40| Rei Todoroki

To say that Shoto Todoroki was nervous would be quite an understatement.

"Sometimes... I look at him, a-and hate what I see..." he could hear his mother saying, "his... his left side... it's... ghastly... it reminds me so much of him..."

His very existence drove his mother away, and that was why he had never visited her, afraid that she'd only push him away once more. He knew that his mother was his... and Endeavor's... prisoner the whole time. He had already visited her once, after the Sports Festival, but he felt... for some strange reason, that Rie had to see his mother. With a trembling body, he slowly entered the hospital, aware that the purple-haired girl's shining golden orbs were trained on him, watching his every movement.

"You know... you're usually a calm person, Todoroki," she cocked her head curiously, speaking for the first time since they entered the hospital, "but... you're nervous, aren't you?"

"I told you to call me Shoto," he muttered quietly, ignoring her second statement and clenching his fists tightly anxiously. His heart pounded against his ribcage, and he wasn't entirely sure why he felt this nervous. He inhaled shakily, exhaling just as unsteadily, freezing slightly as Rie grasped his hand gently.

"Don't be nervous," she soothed gently, somehow her comfort just being more than enough for him, "we can always leave if you get too-"

"No, we're going in," he cut in, swallowing as he pushed the door open.

The room was quite quaint, a single bed leaning against the wall that separated the living area from the kitchen. The bed was covered with a pink quilt, a lamp hanging over the bed. A large window occupied the majority of the opposite wall, with a large table and chair. Rie thought it was a narrow space, but if the woman seemed content with it, who was she to complain?

"Hey mum," the boy greeted quietly.

A middle-aged woman sat at the chair, her straight, shoulder-length white hair let out behind her back. Upon hearing the boy speak, she turned, revealing tired brown-grey eyes that were slightly hidden behind her long bangs.

"Shoto..." she trailed off, her eyes travelling over to the girl, "and... you must be Rie."

"O-oh, yeah," she stammered, slightly bewildered as to how the woman knew about her. She stole a glance at the dual-Quirked boy who hid a small smile. She sighed, gulping down the lump in her throat, "i-it's... nice to meet you..."

"There's no need to be so tense, Rie," she stated calmly, the girl flushing an even deeper shade of red. The dual-haired boy gazed at her in slight confusion, wondering why she was tense. He had informed her of his mother's gentleness, kindness and compassion. He blinked, noticing that she was breathing quite shakily. She shook her head, stating that she was fine.

"I'd... like to speak to Rie alone if that's alright with the both of you," she stated quietly out of the blue, the girl's heart skipping a beat. He nodded slightly, muttering that he'd be waiting for her outside. The girl's heart thumped anxiously, shuffling her feet awkwardly. "Thank you, Rie..."

"E-eh?" she blinked, startled, "w-why are you thanking me?"

"Because..." she stared outside with a forlorn expression, "I can see that... he's much happier when he's with you..." she turned back to face the girl, "Shoto... is a very distant boy, and I'm sure you're aware of that, Rie."

"Y-yeah..." she muttered. She shifted uncomfortably, the woman motioning for her to take a seat on the bed, which she dubiously did. The woman's tired, dark grey eyes observed her every movement.

"What do you think of Shoto?"

The question caught the assassin off guard.

"M-me?"

"There's nobody else in here," she stated gently, "these rooms are soundproof, so Shoto won't be able to hear our conversation," she continued assuring the timid girl, "and I promise that everything in this room will never leave."

A thick silence hovered above the women.

"I... if I'm being honest..." she muttered, gazing to the side and letting her hair fall over her face, "I... like him..." the woman smiled victoriously, though it quickly fell as she continued, "but... I can't fall in love with him..."

The woman's heart ached at the pain that laced her voice.

"Why not?"

Her voice was soothing, maternal, understanding, patient, unlike the one that she grew up with. It sent tears to her eyes for peculiar, unknown reasons as she shook her head, stating that she didn't want to say.

If she did... she might not be able to hold back her emotions.

She hurriedly apologised, bowing and thanking the woman, stating that it was nice to meet her and that she hoped they'd meet again, the white-haired woman agreeing solemnly as she waved goodbye to the teenagers. The girl let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, focusing her attention on the boy in front of her, cocking her head inquisitively.

"Todor-Shoto?" she hesitantly corrected herself, "your heart is beating faster than normal..."

"Is it?" he hummed, reaching inside his bag - which the girl only just realised he had brought along - and handing her a box of sweets, the girl blinking as she accepted it tentatively, opening it as her golden orbs widened. She gaped at the boy who smirked at her reaction.

"You-where-how-wh-huh?"

"Kirishima told me," he shrugged simply, "dunno how he found out..."

Was it just him... or did the temperature suddenly skyrocket?

Before he could fully control or register what he was saying, the words tumbled out of his mouth.

"Rie... you were the first person to come and talk to me, despite the fact that I continuously ignored you. You almost slashed my wrist off, and... I guess my outburst was enough for both of us to calm ourselves down. You helped me become more open and... accepting, I guess... of my past, and to overlook what my old man has done and try to come to terms with what he's trying to do now," he paused to take a breather, "we quickly became friends and... I just... feel comfortable around you... well, if you call rapid heartbeats comfortable-" he stole a glance at her to see her reaction (nothing) "-and... the way your eyes light up when something works out for you... your smile when... well, just in general..." he mirrored the said action as he was describing it, enjoying the feeling of warmth it gave him, "I..."

Shoto couldn't help but notice that throughout his entire confession, Rie was strangely mute.

"So... I... hope you don't mind..." he paused, inhaling and exhaling, evening out his breathing as he closed his eyes, nearing the girl as her breath hitched. She let out a small whimper in protest, her golden orbs significantly widening as the gap between the Heroes-in-Training slowly closed. He gently pushed her against a wall, one hand supporting her chin and the other resting behind her head, caressing her hair gently and sending involuntary shivers down her spine.

Time seemed to slow down as his last four words replayed in her mind.

"I like you, Rie."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rie, Rei and Eri all have similar names, I just can't-
NEXT CHAPTER'S GONNA HAVE SUM FLUFF