|96| You Can't Hide From Yourself Forever

"Rie-"

"No."

"I didn't even fini-"

"No."

"Could you just let me-"

"No."

Itona deadpanned, sighing.

"What happened?"

The silver-haired male turned to face the head servant,

"Hey, Rie, I'm coming in!"

"Wh-Karma-"

He flashed Itona a cheeky grin, the male deadpanning and sighing as he shut the door in his face. His eyes softened, turning his back on the door.

"Yo, Rie~"

"What?"

Her voice was hoarse, the male momentarily pausing as he rummaged around, grinning cheekily as he flicked on the light switch, hearing her groan from the bed.

"Turn the light off, Karma..."

"What are you, a vampire?"

A blade came whizzing his way, the male smiling awkwardly as he slowly turned his gaze to the weapon which stayed lodged in the wall, huffing a quiet sigh of relief. He hesitated, slowly trudging towards the bed and pausing beside it. She shifted, sighing as she sat up, gazing at the male with her golden orbs. He swallowed, slowly sitting on the bed after receiving a silent confirmation from the assassin.

He stared at the wall while she stared at the ceiling.

They exhaled.

"I'm sorry."

Karma snorted.

"No, you can go-"

Both fell silent, waiting for the other to speak without getting talked over.

"I... shouldn't have compared you to... him, of all people," Rie began, eying the male before gazing back at the ceiling, "I wasn't thinking properly, and... you know, one thing led to another, I was stressed, I... I'm sorry."

"I shouldn't have gotten mad at you for... what, 3 days?"

"No, it was understandable," she shook her head.

"Even so, I should have... at least spared you a glance," he murmured, "you know how I get when holding grudges... and it's not..."

His voice trailed off.

"So... we're good now?" Rie questioned.

He hummed.

"I'd say we're good."

"That's good."

"Oh, by the way, I heard what happened from Isogai," he piped up, casting her a side-glance as he stretched, "apparently the Big 3 know now?"

"Ah... yeah," she slumped, "it was bound to happen eventually, given, well..." she groaned into her hands, "I didn't like it... the look of fear and apprehension on their faces... they were... confused..."

"I mean... yeah, I would be too," he lazily smirked, "if one of my closest friends told me they were Japan's worst assassin and Villain, I would be scared too, no?"

"Aren't you meant to be comforting me?"

"Touché, Rie, touché."

She rolled her eyes, whacking him in the arm as he scowled.

"I know... I can't hide from it forever... but it's terrifying..." she muttered.