chapter 25

I blink sleep out of my eyes. I blindly grope at my phone, which is blaring its alarm signalling me to wake up. Once I turn it off, I pull the covers off from my head. Sunlight is filtering in through my curtains, which is a surprise considering that London is cloudy almost all the time. I look at the alarm clock resting on the nightstand which reads nine AM.

Once I rise from bed, I tuck my blanket into the four corners of my bedframe neatly. Next, I head to the bathroom to wash up. I sneak quietly past Clary's room, not wanting to wake her. Her door is slightly open. I peek into her room to see her sleeping peacefully. I shut the door fully before I go to the bathroom.

I brush my brown hair methodically while studying myself in the mirror. Plain gray eyes stare back at me. Vaguely, I wonder how mundane I must look side by side with Will. My heart flutters at the thought of seeing him out of work. I quickly push the thought aside while brushing my teeth and washing my face.

Finished, I go back to my room to change. I discard my worn clothes in the laundry basket and contemplate what to wear. Standing in front of my closet I realize I don't have any clean underwear except for matching sets of lingerie. I begrudgingly pick out a pink lace set that covers my body the most. Still, it's horribly see through. I think Clary got this for me as a gift.

I check the weather on my phone. It's a sunny mid-June day; it's around 80 degrees outside. Back home, in New York, it would be warmer. I pull out a tank top with spaghetti straps and slip it on. I pull on a pair of leggings and an oversized hoodie, throwing my hair in a messy bun when I'm done.

I study myself in the mirror. I look presentable enough. Out of the corner of my eye, my phone lights up. It's Will. I'm outside.

Sneaking one last glance at myself before leaving the house, I sling my bag over my shoulder and head out. I double check that I've locked my door before walking towards Will's black car.

I put my things in the backseat before I get into the passenger seat. Will's in the driver seat. His hair looks as if he just rolled out of bed, as always. He's in a black shirt that strains against his arms and sweatpants.

"Good morning Tessa," he looks over at me and studies my appearance.

I blush at his gaze. "Good morning. Thanks for picking me up. Where's Thomas?"

He shrugs, putting his hand behind my seat to pull out of his parking spot. "Gave him the day off."

"How nice of you," I say.

"I know," he says cockily. He begins driving towards the interstate. "Did you pack for today and tomorrow?"

"I did. Do you mind telling me what we're doing?"

"I told you already. I'm trying to get this deal with Starkweather. He's got solarpanels I need. He's a stubborn bastard and won't answer his emails so we're going there ourselves."

"Pay attention to the road," I scold Will. He'd just run a red light. "You're a terrible driver, you know that?"

He gasps. "I am not! I'll have you know I am the finest driver in England."

"Okay William," I roll my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me."

"I can do whatever I want, William."

"And don't call me that. You know I hate it."

"You're so bossy. Loosen up, William."

His grip on the steering wheel tightens slightly. "You'll regret saying that one day."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing," he smirks.

"Well you can't just say that and leave me hanging," I huff annoyedly. "You really suck."