chapter 19

When he parks outside my apartment, it's three in the afternoon. The lights are on which means Clary is home. She's probably packing for our move to London. Will switches off the engine.

"Do you want to come in?" I ask out of politeness.

He waves a hand. "I've got work to do. I'll see you tomorrow."

"What time do I have to be there?"

"I'll text you the details. Goodbye Tess," he says. It suddenly strikes me that this is the last time Will and I would be this intimate. I silently chide myself that I made the choice to remain professional. It would pay off in the long run. I couldn't afford to have a falling out with him and affect my career. And yet...

My mind flashed back to the last two weeks. How his arrogance at the interview infuriated me but I was secretly attracted to him. How he pressed up against me in the elevator of the Courtyard. His hot mouth on my most sensitive spot, commanding me to stay still while he had his way with me.

There were other moments too that I'd miss. His charming grin that I could never stay mad at. The way his tousled dark hair fell over his eyes. His strange, possessive way he cared for me.

I abruptly stopped those thoughts from running through my head. Get a grip, Tessa.

Fixing a smile on my face, I clamber out of the car and head up the path, knowing I have to face Clary, dreading facing Clary. I turn and gaze at him midway.

"Oh by the way, I'm wearing your underwear." I give him a small smile and pull up the waistband of the boxer briefs I'm wearing so he can see. Will's mouth drops open, shocked. My mood shifts immediately, and I sashay into the house.

Clary is in the living area, packing her paintings into boxes.

"Where the hell were you?" Her voice is demanding and she bounds up to me, grabbing my shoulders.

"Um- I was at Will's-"

She squeals. "YOU FUCKED WILL HERONDALE?"

I wince at her profanity. "Clary-"

She sets down the box she's holding and leads me to the dining room to sit.

I blush as I look down at my hands, avoiding the burning curiosity in my best friend's gaze.

"It was nice, I think," I say quietly, trying to hide my embarrassed tell-all smile.

"You think?"

"I've got nothing to compare it to, do I?" I shrug apologetically.

"Did he make you come?"

I go scarlet. "Yes," I mumble exasperatedly.

She lets out an excited scream. "Oh my God! And it was your first time. Wow, Will must really know what he's doing. My first time was horrid," she shudders.

I laugh. "I remember, you told me."

"Yes. It was Simon. He's been one of my best friends for the longest, but he was clumsy and inexperienced. I wasn't ready and we were both drunk. You were right to wait."

"Clary, that sounds awful," I half laugh.

She looks wistful. "I'm glad you lost it to someone who knows their ass from their elbow." She winks at me. "So when are you seeing him again?"

"Well, I start work for him tomorrow."

She gapes at me. "You got a job at Herondale Enterprises?"

I give a small nod. "I'm his secretary."

"That's amazing Tessa! And you get to be so close to him."