36.

Sunday morning rolled in. The birds could be heard chirping outside the window. I removed the covers from my body, getting out of bed. I walked into the bathroom, doing my morning routine. After leaving the bathroom, I bumped into my little brother.

"Morning." He spoke in a groggily morning voice. "Morning." I looked up at him. He's only fifteen however, puberty had him looking like a grown ass man. He's even starting to grow facial hair. "Des, can I get in the bathroom?" He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Y-Yeah, my bad." I laughed, stepping to the side.

I walked back to my bedroom, locking the door behind me. My phone vibrated on nightstand beside my bed. I rushed over to answer, "Hey!" I spoke excitedly into the phone. "Des-licious!" Dontae's voice echoed through the phone. "What's up, big head?" Slight commotion could be heard coming from his background.

"Nothing much. How's California treating you?"
I asked, taking a seat across my bed. It was always good to hear his voice whenever he called. It's been almost four weeks since he left, but it felt longer. "Man, L.A. been good to a nigga. But this training? Mmcht." He said sucking his teeth. "I bet it has your skinny self tired." I clowned him.

"Oh we ain't doing that, you know this the real deal. And man, tired ain't the word." He sighed heavily. "When you coming to visit your favorite person though?" He causally slid the last part in there. I looked down at my gel polished nails, brushing my thumb against the polish. "I don't know, Tae. We gotta arrange something." I replied. "That ain't a problem. I got your flight money right now." He chuckled, though we both knew he was serious.

"If you miss me and wanna see me, just say that." I teased. Whenever Dontae got flirty it usually left me feeling awkward; causing me to shift gears on many of our conversations. "It's no pressure. But don't act like you don't miss my fine ass neither." He added after a long beat. I covered my mouth in laughter while shaking my head. I love the fact that he has such a carefree spirit. "I miss you too, fool." My voice flowed through the phone.

"See, there we go!" He laughed, "I gotta get back inside for training, but I just wanted to hear you voice." Donate admitted. "I'm glad you called. I'll talk to you soon." I told him, ending the phone call. I sincerely hope all is well for him out there in Los Angeles. I was faithful in his success because he's destined for greatness.

After straightening up my bedroom, I headed straight for the kitchen. When mama was in her right state of mind before the drugs, she would cook dinner every Sunday. Each Sunday each of us got to pick what we wanted for Sunday dinner and mama would always make it. I miss those days.

While I sautéed the onions and peppers over the stove, the pork chops baked in the oven. "Mhm! It smells good in here, Des." Deedra entered the kitchen. "What you cooking?" She asked. "Baked pork chops, stuffed peppers, mash potatoes, and broccoli." I told my sister, a smirk on my face.

"Oh, that sounds so good!" Her mouth practically watered. "Brandon still coming over?" I questioned, getting started on the stuffed peppers. "Yep. He'll be here around six." She said. "Alright. By the way, Quan and his sister Jhade are coming over for dinner." Deedra looked over at me with a grin.

"He's your boyfriend, isn't he?" She hammered, taking a orange slice into her mouth. "No, he's not." I told her honestly. There weren't any titles between him and I. "Then why the two of you sneaking around late at night like it's nobody's business?" She asked, trying her best to sound like the parent here. "Because it isn't nobody's business." I laughed, "And we haven't been sneaking around." I clarified due to me not wanting to set that type of example; being the head of the household; regardless if all my siblings are of age.