31.

Waking up the next morning, I found myself in Quan's bed. He was asleep beside me with one arm wrapped around my waist. I looked over at him, smirking as I watched him sleep peacefully. I slowly retrieved my cellphone from the nightstand, checking the time. 10:46am displayed. I gently slid out of the bed, trying my best not to wake him.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Seconds later his eyes fluttered open. "Where you going?" He questioned in his raspy morning voice. "I need to get home and get ready for work." I responded. He sat up in the bed, allowing his eyes to adjust to the lighting in the bedroom. "The club don't open till eleven." He said.

I smirked, shaking my head. "Are you forgetting I also work a day job?" He looked up at me squinting his eyes, "Yeah, I definitely did. Want me to take you home?" He offered, getting out of the bed. "I wouldn't want to put you out your way." I double check to make sure I had all my things. "It's never a bother , honestly. You came through for me last-night, the least I can do is take you home." He walked over to the huge bathroom.

While Quan handled his business, I waited patiently. I thought about bringing up the awkward tension between the both of us but decided against it. Now wasn't the best time. Minutes later, he walked out fully cleaned up. We walked out his bedroom, making our way down the stairs. His sisters presence greeted us from the living room. "You good?" Quan questioned her, showing all signs of a overprotective older brother.

Her knees were pulled up to her chest. Her eyes looked puffy from all the crying she had done. Without making any eye contact, she shook her head yes. However, her physical appearance said otherwise. Quan walked over to the couch, taking a seat beside his sister. "It's okay Jha. We gon be okay." He pulled her into his side, comforting her.

After consoling his sister for a while longer and whispering something low, he walked over to where I was standing. "Let's go." He cleared his throat. "Quan, I don't think you should leave her here... alone." I spoke in a low tone. He looked at me weird, "You don't want me to take you home?" He asked, confused. "Yes, but being with her is more important right now. I'll be fine." I told him, catching a glimpse at his sister; who was still sobbing only quietly this time.

"Aight. At least let me pay for your Uber." He still wanted to do something to thank me for showing up last night. A small smile crept onto my face because of his gesture, nodding my head. He requested me an Uber before walking me out the front door. We stood outside as the cool November morning breeze blew on our skin. "I really do appreciate you coming through for me last night." He said.

"I told you, don't sweat it." Truthfully, I'm glad I was able to be there for him when he needed a little comfort. It's hard for anyone to lose a love one, so I can only imagine how he deeply feels on the inside. I know he's numb right now, but sooner or later it's going to hit him. And I just hope he handles it the right way.

The Uber pulled up shortly after. Quan watched me safely get into the backseat. Once the Uber driver pulled off, he went back inside his house. That look on his sisters face was stuck in my head the entire ride home. Poor Jhade.

[Later that afternoon]:

"You didn't have to pick me up from work." I laughed. "Well, you haven't been hitting me back. I was starting to think something happened to you." Dontae spoke in a fatherly tone. I playfully rolled my eyes at him while walking out of the store. "So, what's up?" He asked. We walked next to each other on the sidewalk, deciding to soak up all the nice weather Atlanta was experiencing.

"Uh, nothing much." I responded, playing with my fingers while looking down at my brown converse sneakers. "What's up with you?" I asked. I can admit it's awkward between us; being that I haven't spoken to him since leaving his house that night. "I've been chilling. Getting ready to leave." He scratched his forehead. "Are you nervous?" I looked at him for a quick moment.

"Hell yeah." He laughed, "But I'm ready. I've been waiting my whole life for a breakout." He expressed. I felt him on that part. I'm still waiting for my breakout from draining place I call home. However, I still have a lot on my plate so it looks like that won't be happening any time soon; unfortunately. "As you should be. You worked hard for this." I managed to slip Dontae a small smile.

"Thanks, Des-licious." He smirked. Fifteen-minutes later, we approached my house; making our way up the few steps. "Thanks for walking me home." I told as I pulled my keys from my bag. He smiled, slipping his hand into his black basketball shorts. "No worries. I was actually hoping you'd have a definite answer to my question." He twisted his mouth to the side. I exhaled, looking at the cars that passed by. "Dontae... your a great guy." I reasoned. "But?" He looked at me intensely.

"But how do you want us to be in a relationship when your about to leave? Not to mention, you'll be miles away." I wondered. He sighed, "I know. I thought about that... a lot. Listen, I think we can make it work. FaceTime calls, I can come visit on my off time. You can even fly out there to come see me. It won't be hard." His voice sounded hopeful. "That all sounds so easy." A deep sigh left my mouth.

"But you and I, both know it won't be that easy." I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "You right, I guess." He responded, sounding slightly disappointed. I playfully bumped his shoulder, causing him to chuckle. "Hey." I looked up at his face, "That doesn't mean I still won't come visit you though. And it absolutely doesn't take away from the fact that I have grown to have an incredible amount of love for you." Dontae's face lit up as if on cue, "I'll be holding you to that, Des-licious. I love you, too."

He pulled my body into a hug. I inhaled the the scent of his cologne, bringing a hearty smile across my face. "For what it's worth, you deserve a man... not a little boy, not someone who wastes time or isn't loud when it comes to how they feel about you. A man." He said into my ear before breaking our hug. I watched him walk down the steps, disappearing down the street.

His words replayed in my head over, and over again.