Chapter 40

It’s March now, Harry and I cleared everything up with the miscommunication when Stephen was sick.  He apologized for calling so often, but didn’t mention his last comment on the voicemail.  I wouldn’t dare to bring it up either, because I’m afraid of the truth.  In my head, he meant that he has feelings for me in a romantic way and I don’t want to ruin that thought for myself.

While on facetime a few weeks ago, we made it a point to make fun of my old Jonas Brothers poster hanging in my room, as well as all the other decorations from when I was sixteen.  Lucky for him, I found it amusing and not at all embarrassing.  However, I did redecorate to make my room a little more adult, but I left the Jonas Brothers poster.

Stephen has been great, getting smarter and smarter every day, keeping up with his advanced classes.  I have been helping Harry out like I asked and he pays me nicely.  Not as much as I used to make, because I refused that, but enough that I could move Stephen and I out if I wanted to.  Even though working for Harry is lovely, I have been thinking about the future and what I actually want to do with my life.  I’ve come to the conclusion that this is not it, and I’m going to have to get out to pursue something else sooner rather than later.

The doorbell rings while I’m sitting on the couch, reading a book.  It’s weird because our doorbell almost never rings.  You need a code to get through the gate, so the people who come in just walk through the door.

I get up and go to the door, figuring it was Charlie and Stephen locked out, as this is the time they usually get home from school.

“Harry?”  I’m in shock when I open the door and find the Brit standing there with flowers.  Without thinking, I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him down to give him a hug, ignoring his protest because I’m ruining the flowers.  “What are you doing here?  Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?!”  I pull away, but keep him close by holding his biceps locked in my hands.

“I wanted to surprise you.  How come I wasn’t aware that your family was so wealthy?”

I chuckle and shake my head.  “It never really came up in conversation.  Anyway, what are you doing here?!”  I try to bring him back to my original question.

“Just wanted to say hello and catch up in person.”

“Okay then, come on in.”  I turn to walk back into the house.  “Stephen and Charlie should be home soon.  You finally get to meet my family.”  I try to say without sounding too excited.

Harry reaches out and grabs my arm before I can walk into the house.  “I also came here to ask you something.”  He takes a short pause.  “I know we agreed on friends, but I like to believe that it was because I was with Jessica.  The first thing I did when you left London in December was break it off with her.  I didn’t want to lead her on when it is so obvious that you have my heart.”  This brings a lot of emotion out in me.  I’m shocked that he broke up with Jessica right after I left and didn’t tell me, confused with what he actually was going to ask me, and happy that he admitted his feelings to me.

“Morgan, since we officially met, I have not thought about much besides you.  Honestly, you are a breath of fresh air.  You’re funny, kind, charitable, and above all a great mum.  I love talking to you, no matter what you’re doing or talking about. Speaking with you is the highlight of my days, especially after stressful ones at work.  You keep me grounded and humble when my family can’t.”

“Please tell me you’re not proposing.”

He chuckles.  “Did I mention you frustrate me?  Because you do, but in the best way possible.  No, I’m not going to propose, yet.”  He winks.  “I’ll do better than this when that time comes.  Even though I had about 12 hours of travel, I couldn’t put the words together for how much you really do mean to me and how much I love you.”