Chapter 27

The intercom wakes me with a loud ding, making me check my surroundings with a small panic because I previously forgot that I am on a plane back to America.

"Please fasten your seatbelts, we are ready for descent." I hear Peter say over the speakers.

I rub my eyes, trying to wake up and be alert when we land. It was probably not a good idea I basically slept for the whole plane ride because it's 5:30 pm in America and I might have trouble sleeping tonight. I might have to go on a run later to tire myself out.

We land safely and I turn back on my phone, expecting a text from Brian and hoping for one from Harry. My heart is slowly broken when I get no new messages. I was at least expecting Brian to say something once he talked to Mary. Maybe he'll call me tomorrow to speak about it.

As I exit the plane, I am greeted by my old driver, Margaret. I immediately start sprinting towards her open arms and bring her into a hug.

"My love!" She hugs me tightly.

All of the emotions from the past week come flooding out. I let myself release a sob and tears roll down my face as Margaret holds me. She rubs my back for a while, while the flight crew packs my bags in the car.

"Let's go, honey. Your father wants you home as soon as possible."

I nod and get into the front passenger seat of the car. As soon as I was old enough to sit in the front seat, Margaret let me. My dad was never fond of my being very close to her, feeling as though, I believe, I replaced my mother with her.

That is not the case at all. She was a motherly figure to me even when my mom was alive.

On the way back to the house, Margaret and I caught up on our lives. I found out she now has five grandchildren as opposed to the two she had when I first left. She brags about her one, Mary, who is around 6 years old and is very smart. I'm sure she got that from her grandmother. Margaret is incredibly intelligent and actually has a master's degree in English. She was a professor at a college for a lot of years. My mom actually had her for a class and when she retired offered her the job as a driver for us. For some reason, I still don't know but I'm determined to find out, she said yes.

"I don't want to go in." I tell Margaret as we idle outside the house after driving through the gate and up the driveway.

She shrugs, "I can sit here for a while, we're good on gas. One thing though, your dad knows you're here because we opened the gate."

"I just need a few more minutes."

Margaret shrugs, silently telling me to take as much time as I need.

After five minutes of complete silence, there's a knock on my window. Margaret and I both jump about ten feet in the air.

Immediately, I roll my window down.

"Morgan, dad wants you inside." Thomas, my middle brother, says and waits a few seconds. "Now."

This snaps me out of my thoughts of what my dad has to say to me and I quickly get out of the car, taking my bags out and making my way to the front door.

Before I walk in, I take a good look at the place. It's a lot bigger than I remember it. The tan bottom and brick top, going up and making peaks. The porch and extension to my right. The house only gets bigger as you go to the back. I admire the bushes that stay green for the entire year.

Taking a deep breath and preparing for what's about to happen, I open the door. As soon as the door is open, I am greeted by a young boy who looks almost exactly like my brothers and father. "Hey, you're the lady in the pictures."