(a.r.) you can't put your arms around a memory

maeve x axl

summary:
your boyfriend goes on tour and you hadn't seen him for months. how will you cope?

word count:
742

you can't put your arms around a memory-johnny thunders

"It's going really well. The cities and crowds have been very welcoming. I don't think there's been any problems so far, so that's good." he nodded. I let out a deep breath, a frown etched into my face. Though I loved that he was living his dream, I hated being away from him for so long.

Axl and the band had been gone for about three and a half months now on their tour to advocate for their album. Of course, I had listened to the record front and back more times than I could count. Axl would call me occasionally and gush about the tour, throwing in a few rants about how some things weren't going his way. I let him ramble every time, just thankful to hear his voice.

As soon as the channel flipped to commercials after the interview, I turned it off and the screen flickered to darkness. Going to the restroom, I glanced at myself in the mirror. I didn't look any different, just.. empty. The scarce clippings of his stubble were still scattered in his sink, a few clumps of after-shave splattered against the smooth surface of the fiberglass. I pulled one of his shirts off of its hanger, sliding into it with ease. This was a routine at this point.

I'd come home, watch an interview- if any- and rarely get a call from him or one of the guys. I'd typically skip dinner and take a shower, letting the steaming water soak my skin. Then, I would change into one of his shirts and sweats, sleeping on my side and my side only.

Dragging myself to the shared room of Axl and I, I slouched myself into my spot. His side was still indented from the last time he was here, I didn't dare touch it. The cool wind was slipping through the open window, providing a soft whistle.

The shirt still smelled of his stale cologne, giving me some sense of home. I picked up the phone that sat on the side table and dialed the all-too-familiar number. After a few rings, someone picked up. "Yo!" they greeted. "Hey, is Axl there?" "Oh! Maeve? Is that you?" Duff slurred, a few voices chattering in the background. "Yeah, how are you, Duff?"

"I'm doing alright, Maeve, how 'bout you? Missing us yet?" "Way too much, man. Way too much. How's tour?" I asked. "It's been great! We-We've been partying nonstop and performing is so fun. You should've came! There's too many hot chicks, you'd fit right in!" My heart wrenched at the idea of my boyfriend hanging around the perfect girls. They were gorgeous, they had to be.

"Yeah, wish I would've," I sighed. "Hey is that Maeve? Lemme talk to her!" A rustling sound could be heard from the other end before a familiar voice greeted me, "Hey! Maeve, that's you, right?!" "Yeah, hi Stevie." I grinned at his voice, I could hear his smile through the phone. "I miss you so much! I'm so excited to see you again! Let's-Let's hang out soon! Yeah, come see us!"

My smile soon faded at the way he was talking. His high energy, slurred speech, quick sentences. I knew it too well. He wasn't sober, and neither was Duff. It seemed like everyone wasn't sober when talking to me. "Yeah, I want to, Stevie. Can Axl talk right now?" I asked. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll get him." The phone was muffled for a few seconds, another voice soon picking up the phone, "Hello?"

"Axl?" I whimpered, nearly breaking at the mere thought of him. "Maeve? That you, babe?" his voice rumbled into the phone. "Yeah. Yeah, I just wanted to call and talk to you for a bit."

"Uh, now's not a good time, honey. Can I call you tomorrow?" he said, rather rushed. "I'd really like to talk to you now, Axl." "Maeve, I can't talk right now, okay? I'm busy. I'll call you tomorrow." "Axl-" "Bye." The phone clicked, the dead tone ringing obnoxiously loud in my ear. I gently placed the phone back onto the receiver. Heaving a soft sigh, I tucked myself into the thick duvet.

I just wanted to talk to him.

————————————————————————

!! r. speaks:
i like this one, i think it gives a diff perspective. should i set these chapters up differently? like no summary, word count, etc. or keep it the same? dunno, tell me. anyway, enjoy?