Part 35 | Finding The Gem

Start from the beginning

"No. It's okay." I said.

"It's not just about it why I came here, Mrs. Manoban." I raised my head and looked at her with confusion.

She took her phone again, swiping and handed it to me.

I saw a photo Lisa. Lisa with a short hair and no longer blonde. Her natural ash hair. So beautiful. So handsome, my love.

I'm crying and trembling.

"Whe---where is th—this?" I asked in a crying voice.

"I had a vacation last week. My phone was snatched and she took it from the taker. At first, I was still confused if it was really her. Then I called her attention again and I confirmed. She still looks so handsome and beautiful. You know. But it's sad to see that our role model in business has lost so much weight." Somi's voice is shaking and a tear fell from her eye.

"I didn't introduce myself to her. I mean, I told her my name but of course she doesn't know me and that i have a business too. I was caught by the moment. I can't believe seeing her that time. You know, I am a fan of how she handles business. And to be honest, my heart was crushed...when I saw her with..with torn shirt with holes and stains, super thin slippers that would almost create a hole soon. It's just unbelievable. You know." She added.

My heart is breaking. I cried so hard that it didn't matter who I was talking to.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"Japan. In a rural village at the mountains of Gifu. Takayama." She said.

I hugged Somi. I thanked her for telling me.

I felt like a thorn was pulled out from my chest. First thing in the morning tomorrow, I will find her.

Lisa, I will make sure that I will bring you back home.

After Somi and I talked, I had a meeting with some producers for the upcoming concert of some of the bands we're handling.

When it finished, I went to my office and got a call from Tzuyu on the line.

"Ms. Jennie, there's someone who wants to talk to you on the line. He's been calling since last month but you were in India that time. And we also blocked him since he-..."Tzuyu is explaining but I cut her.

"Who's on the line?" I asked.

"It's Kai, Ms. Jennie. Should I direct the call to you?" Why on earth Kai would call this time?

"Okay. Thank you, Tzuyu." I said.

After a while, I heard his voice.

"Hello Kai." I said in a cold tone.

"Jennie, it's been a while. God, I have been calling you since last month." He said. His voice was a bit nervous and scared.

"What can I do for you, Kai?" I asked.

"I actually don't know how to start. But. Yeah. I have to tell you this." What is this again, Kai? Are you going to do something bad with the company again?

"Go on." I said.

"So, I was punched and kicked by some market guys. By the way Jennie, I now live in Japan with my wife, Hannah." And so? I don't know where this conversation will lead us to.

"Then someone saved me. Just how she saved me from those bullies in high school and college." My eyes went big. I don't know what to say. Should I ask him where's Lisa?

"Kai." The only thing I said.

"Yes, Jennie. I actually carried that 15kg of sack of flour so she will accept my invitation to come to my house so we could talk. Damn! That was so heavy. I couldn't believe how she carries that everyday when she has lost so much weight." He said.

My Lisa. Where are you? What do you do?

"Okay." I said pretending I am fine.

"Okay? That's what just you're going to say? Do you know how your wife managed to eat everyday? She delivers 15kg of sack of whatever the fuck it is every fucking day, clean fish at the market, scratch rust from metal.. praying she won't get some wounds, cleaning motel rooms and selling hotcakes and soba and you're just going to fucking say "Okay", Jennie Kim?" Kai is already angry and crying on the line.

I cried. I can't believe what he's saying. I can't believe what Lisa is going through right now.

"Kai, is she okay?" I asked.

"She tries to be okay. But she can't hide the sadness in her eyes from me. I'm her best friend." He said.

"Kai, where is she? How do I get there?" I asked swallowing my saliva even it's too hard when I felt a bit of choking now.

"Takayama. It's a small town here in Gifu. You should land in Nagoya airport and at the city there will be a scheduled bus every Saturday morning. That means, you can leave New York tomorrow. Jennie, make sure to catch the bus ride. It's only once a week. Get her. Please! I'm sorry, Jen. I don't know where exactly she works or stay. But the last thing she told me, she has to go to scrub some rust on the scrap shop at the Port." Kai. Thank you so much, Kai.

"Thank you." I said with a shaky voice.

"Anytime for you and Lisa. Bye." He ended the call.

I will find you. I will bring you home.
Japan. You're in Japan Lisa. Why didn't I even thought of it when I knew you're an honorary citizen of that country?

Thank god I can speak Japanese.

"Mr. Tim, bring me to Japan tomorrow at 6am, please." I called our pilot.

See you very soon, my love.