Chapter 27

My heart had never beaten so fast. Well, perhaps that is a bit untrue, but the fact remains that I was close to a cardiac arrest when I recognised Hunter's car parking up by the side of the road.
               'Calm down, Ruthie! He won't bite.' Grandma chuckled as she clambered to her feet and took my shoulders in her hands. 'Look at me, you know how you feel now. And you know how Hunter feels - he's always been forthcoming with you about that.'
'I can't do this.' I said, nearly crying. 'I may love him but I don't want to. I don't deserve him. He's perfect and I'm a lunatic -'
'Don't you ever speak like that again!' Grandma cried assertively. 'You are a lovely girl. Having a diagnosis doesn't define you. You deserve my grandson, and I don't say those words lightly. I knew when you were a toddler that you were a good person. You won't do him wrong, Ruth, not now, and not ever, and not because I don't want you to, but because I know your heart is in the right place. Okay?'
               I was still shaking but nodded my head.
'I think I'm going to be sick. Or dissociate.' Hunter was at the front door now. He rang the bell.
'You'll be fine. Just don't think about this too much.'
'Wait!' I cried before she left. 'Did you know he was coming?'
               Cheekily, Grandma tapped her nose at me, then rushed off to greet her grandson. I stayed in the living room, utterly frozen in place.

What the hell was going on.

'Hunter! Oh, my boy, I've missed you!' I heard the elderly voice exclaim. There was some quiet while they hugged.
'Hey, Grandma. Sorry it's been a while.'
'Don't be sorry! It's lovely to see you. Here, come in! I have a little surprise for you too.'
'Huh? For me?' I could just about see Hunter from the doorway now, as he took off his shoes and walked through the hallway. He looked a little tired, but tidy as ever and very handsome. He'd had a haircut recently, and for once had let his stubble grow ever so slightly. He was wearing his favourite t-shirt and blue jeans and his wrist was no longer in a cast. I, on the other hand, looked like a homeless woman Grandma had taken in off the street.

Hunter finally saw me when he entered the room. A look of total shock washed across his face, and he stared for a long time before glancing back at Grandma in confusion. The matchmaker only shrugged coyly.
'What are you doing here, Ruth?'
'I-I bumped into your Grandma at the park. I'm sorry, I was just leaving.' Grandma stood in my way and smiled,
'Ruth and I were having a lovely catch up, and she realised she had something to say to you.'
               Then, a bit evilly, she excused herself and slowly went upstairs, leaving the two of us alone, in silence.
'You look nice.' Hunter said.
'I don't.' I tugged at the bottom of my jumper. 'But you do.' He smiled slightly, and then shook his head as if the awkwardness wasn't acceptable to him.
'What did you want to tell me?'
'I - it's nothing. I, I just, I was talking to Mrs Brookes just now and I realised something but it's not important. I should get home.' I dashed past him and headed for the door, but a warm hand slipped around mine and held on.
               'What is it, Ruth?' he asked me again.
'Don't look into his eyes, fool! You'll melt!'
'I-I...miss you.' I stuttered. 'When you're not around. When we don't talk. I miss you.'
'Halfway there.'
'I miss you too.' he replied. He stepped closer to me, his hand still clutching onto mine for dear life. 'Is that it?'
'Y-Yeah. I would've prepared a speech but didn't know you were coming here today.' He laughed. I made him laugh.
'Well, I'm glad we bumped into each other.' he said warmly. 'I wanted to see you, but I thought if I came to the house, it might be a bit much. Last time you -'
'I know. I remember.' I sighed. 'I shouldn't have spoken to you like that on the bridge, Hunter, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that.'
'Nope.' he smiled.
'Why are you smiling?'
'Because, you look so pretty.'
               I inhaled quickly, blushed and raised my eyes to his. I assumed my next words would be angry, sarcastic or confused, but instead I managed a simple,
'Thank you.'
'How is he brave enough to talk like that?'
'Yeah! If we complimented another person like that we'd have a heart attack!'
               'Look, er, Hunter, I've got to go.' (Meaning, I'm not coping too well and you look like you're about to kiss me, so I'm going to run away.) 'How long are you here for?'
'Just until tomorrow. I couldn't get any more time off work.'
'Will you come and see me tomorrow, before you go?' Hunter looked as pleasantly surprised at the invitation as I did.
'Sure. I'll be there at ten?'
'Great. Say goodbye to Grandma for me, please.'
'Okay.' I smiled, hesitated, and left.