Chapter 14

A few days later, Mike and I sauntered up to the community centre hand in hand. I could hear birds singing in the trees and even the wind sounded chipper on that first evening of September.
                 'Do you realise,' Mike pondered, 'That we've been dating for nearly three months?'
'Wow...yeah.'
'If you can call it that.' sniggered Julie. 'You just spend all your time walking and watching telly. You've hardly been on a real date.'
'Well there was that time in the cafe! And they've been to the beach a few times, and remember they went to that restaurant not far from the house -'
'Boo hoo. That doesn't mean they're dating like a normal couple would.'
'Well, maybe you should respect the fact that they aren't a normal couple.'
'Yeah, but, come on now, Ruth!' I could feel Julie throw her arms up and tut. 'Remember when you were young and had all these dreams about dancing around the kitchen with your future spouse, and talking endlessly and opening up to him about yourself and meeting his parents - not to mention the beautiful, passionate sex -'
'Give it a rest Julie. That kind of love doesn't exist. Ruth is finally happy, can't you just be supportive?'
'That's not what I'm here for. I'm the realistic one, everyone knows that.'
'You mean you're the negative, bossy one? No argument here!'
               I ignored the constant nagging and smiled up at Mike. His chin was recently clean shaven and his hair was no longer a curly mop on his head. Those brown eyes shone brighter every day, and every time he smiled at me I could feel butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. It wasn't the swarm of bloodthirsty bugs that I typically felt during a social interaction, but gentle, excited butterflies of all different and beautiful colours. For the first time in my life I was really, genuinely, happy. Julie may think I wanted more in a relationship, but she was wrong. I had more than I deserved.
               'It seems like only a few weeks.' I said.
'Yeah. What's been your favourite part so far?' Mike continued to look ahead.
'Um, I think it would have to be when you took me to that cafe for the first time. We were both so nervous.' I chuckled. 'We were scared to order anything, and then the only seats were by the window, so we just glared suspiciously at everyone walking past the whole time and barely said two words to each other.'
'What the hell, Ruth?' Mike laughed. 'Why is that your favourite moment?'
'Because! Whenever I think about it, it reminds me of how far we've come. Together. And in such a short time.' I glanced at his thoughtful face. He grinned.
'I guess I can understand that.' he said. 'My favourite moment would have to be the first time I saw you all those months ago.'
'Before we were even dating?' I giggled. 'That doesn't count.'
'Just go with it, alright? I remember walking into the support group. I had been coming for a few months and getting nothing out of it, but then on the night I was planning to say goodbye to everyone, a beautiful young lady walked in the door and sat down.' He looked at me and smiled at my blushing face.
'Stop. You're lying.' I muttered.
'I most certainly am not.' He squeezed my hand and slowed his pace down slightly as he thought back. 'You sat down, and you looked so nervous and uncomfortable. But you still looked prettier than any woman I have ever seen before. I couldn't take my eyes off you. You had your crazy turquoise hair, and your skin is so tanned and smooth and your face is beautiful. And then Jonathan introduced you, I found that you had a lovely name as well as a stunning face. And then I found out that you have DID, and I was so fascinated by you that I wanted to get to know you.'
               I eventually breathed again and nervously looked at the man clinging onto my hand.
'You really care about me, don't you?' I said.
'Of course I do! I think you're amazing. You just dropped into my life like an angel.'
                I stopped walking but kept hold of his hand.
'Mike.'
'Yeah?'
'...I love you.'
               He tensed and gripped my hand more harshly. I wormed it out and glanced worriedly at his face. When he said nothing, I kept walking, much faster this time.
'Ruth!' He jogged back to my side and put his hands on my arms. 'I'm sorry, you just, you took me by surprise, that's all.' I looked down. 'And...I love you too.' He lifted my chin and kissed me. For a long time.