"Box braids" I answered and she laughed, running her hand through my hair.

"That's the same thing you made last month, Wura" I grinned, knowing that she wouldn't tell me no.

"It lasts longer, mommy." She tapped my nose before nodding with a yawn.

"Alright, sweetie. It's already eleven, go to bed" I nodded, watching as she walked out.
I climbed back into my bed and grinned at the ceiling for some reason before picking the Novel I stopped reading.

I let it take me away.

Since I wasn't allowed to step out of the house, I let myself create a world from what I read and I literally imagine myself as a character in the book.

Silly, I know

I groaned when I heard pots from the kitchen

I groaned when I heard pots from the kitchen. With so much effort, I stood up and walked to the kitchen.

I found Tolu rummaging through the fridge. He smelled like alcohol and dead rats...I think I could smell pee on him as well. It wasn't a new thing, seeing him search for food like some possessed animal.

This only happened on some occasions, on other days he would stay in his room and play some loud noise that barely had any meaning or counted as music.

Only a few lyrics made sense.

He turned to me with reddish eyes and a swollen face

"Need help?" I asked before walking towards the cupboard and pulled out powdered milk.

"I don't need your help!" he spat and I shrugged. His childish crabbiness barely affected me, I only knew that I was hungry and I needed food.

"Okay" I muttered and grabbed my mug, dropping five huge spoonful of milk. I walked towards the fridge and took out a jug of cold water and poured it into my mug and then added some crushed chocolate powder.

"Don't you ever feel choked?" I turned to him and shook my head honestly. I liked my space and mom gave me just that. I returned the jug to the fridge and pulled out sandwiches that my mom had packed up for me before she went to the hospital.

"You're never curious? You're satisfied with what you see from looking outside the windows, the TV or mom's phone?" He asked and obviously he was hinting at something.

Well, the hairdresser came on some weekends whenever I needed to make my hair but I assumed he didn't know that. The nurse came at the end of every month for my check-ups too.

"Tolu. What is your point?" I cut a piece from the bread and ate some of it.

"My point is that that fucking insane woman has locked you in his house for nineteen years of your life! You're so naïve and it's annoying" he yelled out causing me to scoff

"Again, what's your point?"

"You're stupid, Olorun gbo[God is listening]" he muttered and walked out of the kitchen causing me to shrug as I carried my breakfast to the living room.

My mom worked as a nurse all morning and only a few nights. I wasn't complaining and like I said, I enjoyed the space.

I turned the TV on as began to watch an episode of SpongeBob. Unfortunately, it did not last because ten minutes into the cartoon, Tolu began to play songs that I believed the entire universe could hear.

With a hiss, I walked back into my room and shut the door before settling down at my reading corner which had a plastic table and chair with lots of soft pillows.

Hello to you too...👀
We're getting into it, calm down. There you have it! Wuraola!
-Aduke🌹