Destructive Investigations

Dialogue from A New Hope was used.

Alderaan: 0 BBY
Death Star
Jess

    A day had passed already. Jess and Sorin were headed down a hallway, ducking past Imperial personnel. They had been called down to the detention level to guard Leia's cell.

    The previous guards were leaving just as they arrived. Jess took up a position on one side of the door and Sorin moved to the other side. "Where are we going?" Jess asked.

    "Alderaan, I think. Tarkin has something planned," Sorin replied.

    A shout echoed through the hallway, originating in another cell. Sorin let out a groan. "Sounds like those Weequays are fighting again. I'll handle it." He darted off before Jess could agree. Jess waited until Sorin was out of sight, before silently entering Leia's cell.

    She started at the sight of him. Leia narrowed her eyes. Jess pulled his helmet off. "Your Highness."

    "I don't believe it. How are you here? Is this a rescue?" Leia exclaimed, running over to him.

    Jess shook his head. "I'm here on an assignment. What happened to the plans?"

    "If everything goes according to plan, they're with Obi Wan Kenobi on their way to the base," Leia whispered. "Do you know what they intend to do with me?"

    "I don't. It can't be anything good, though. We're headed for Alderaan now." Jess glanced out of the cell. There was no sign of Sorin. "I can't stay long, but I promise I'll find a way to get you out of here if I can."

    "No," Leia objected. "You're here on a mission. That comes first. Don't worry about me."

    Jess started to reply, but heard footsteps in the hallway. He threw his helmet on and ran out of the cell. He resumed his position just as Sorin returned.

    A lift opened up shortly and Darth Vader entered the detention level. Jess's breath quicken. He tried to even it out, hoping the Dark Lord wouldn't notice anything suspicious about him. The crystal beneath his armor hummed with warmth.

    "Bring the princess," Vader ordered.

    Sorin opened the cell and grabbed Leia roughly. They escorted her into the lift with Vader and headed towards the command center. When they arrived, Grand Moff Tarkin was waiting. Beyond the massive viewport, Alderaan loomed. Leia stared at it, her expression unreadable. At last, she turned her gaze to Tarkin.

"Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash," Leia said proudly. "I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

Tarkin stared at her, unamused. "Charming, to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your life."

"I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself."

"Princess Leia, before your execution, I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now."

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers," Leia said softly.

Tarkin's gaze darkened. "Not after we demonstrate the power of this station. In a way, you have determined the choice of the planet that will be destroyed first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test this station's destructive power on your home planet of Alderaan."