Underlying Actions

Bracca: 14 BBY
Imperial Shipyard
Jess

    "We should split into two groups. Each of us will take four of the bombs and plant two on each turret," Jess whispered to the others around him. He scrunched his brow beneath his helmet. "Do these have remote activation?"

    Prauf nodded and pulled a remote detonator from the back. Jess took it and clipped it to his belt. "Cal and I will take these two," Prauf said.

    "Then we'll take the other ones," Jess agreed. Ryn slipped past him and grabbed two bombs from the bag. "Don't activate the bombs. Just plant them. We'll remotely activate them when we need to," Jess added as he took his own bombs. He turned and slipped them into the satchel Ryn carried.

    "Got it. Let's go. The stormtroopers could be back any minute," Cal said. The boy headed off with Prauf.

    Ryn was already moving towards one of the gun turrets. Jess joined her shortly. "We could plant the bombs on the blaster barrels. Two bombs themselves might not destroy the entire turret, but if we get the barrels offline, they won't be able to fire," she pointed out.

    Jess grinned and nodded. "That's just what I was going to say." He followed Ryn's gaze to the staircase on the turret. There was a stormtrooper seated inside.

    Ryn furrowed her brow. "Here, help me up." They crept to the other side of the turret. Jess dropped down to one knee and cupped his hands together. Ryn fitted her foot into his palms and gripped the railing above them. He lifted her gently, until she silently eased over the railing and was crouched beneath the barrels.

    Ryn drew two bombs out of her satchel. Silently, she activated the magnetic lock and clamped them in place. Jess whirled and pressed his back against the base of the turret as the stormtrooper stood, suddenly. He heard Ryn inhale sharply above him.

    "Any reports?" The stormtrooper asked, likely speaking through his comms.

    "It must have been a false alarm. There's nothing in the sector," came the reply.

    Jess looked up. Ryn leaned over the railing. She glanced back towards the stormtrooper, before swinging over the edge. Jess caught her out of the air and set her down noiselessly. She cast him a grateful, yet unnerved expression. Jess jerked his head towards the next turret.

    Across the shipyard, Jess caught sight of Prauf and Cal. Cal swung himself over the railing of a turret and they sprinted to the next one. Something about the boy struck him as odd. Jess shook the thought away and ducked down beside Ryn. There were two stormtroopers on this turret.

    Jess boosted her to the railing again and Ryn silently prepared the bombs. He kept one eye on the stormtroopers nervously. Their comms went off repeatedly. Come on. Hurry, he thought. The squads will be back any minute!

    He let out a sigh of relief as Ryn jumped down again. She landed with a soft thump. "Did you hear something?" One of the stormtroopers asked. Jess pressed himself against the turret. Ryn couched down beside him, scanning the shipyard.

    "It was probably just a scrap rat," the other trooper replied.

    Jess and Ryn silently crept away from the turret. They returned to their entry point, waiting for Cal and Prauf. "That ship," Ryn said. She pointed across the courtyard. The ship was close to the front of the rows and was larger than the others. "The cargo and passenger area is modified. Look at the shape. They must have added at least one cabin and a galley."

    "Do you want that one?"

    She shrugged. "If we're living on a ship for a while, it might be nice."