In Which She Kisses The Handsome Josiah

"Okay, now stretch your arms and legs," I instructed Josiah, feeling hot in the cool water, not because of the sun's strong rays beating on my back, but because I was supporting his naked torso. "Now do as I taught you- woah, woah---" Giggles escaped my lips when the water from his flapping arms splashed on my face. "---woah! You learnt pretty quick."

I let go of him then to test whether he could swim without my support (big risks, big rewards), but instead of floating, he sank in like a rock. I quickly pulled him up by his arms so he was standing in chest-deep water. He wiped the water streaming down his face, pushing his wet curls back and grinning boyishly at me.

I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his soft, plump ones.

The next moment was so humiliating that I could crawl back in my mother's womb and never see the light of the day. I found myself being pulled away from him and a pang of pain gripped my heart like a fist squeezing slime. I blinked at him and he offered an apologetic smile. In my standard croaky voice, I asked, "What? You didn't want it?"

"No." His smile broadened suddenly and he tipped my chin up. "Let's do it properly."

His wet lips captured mine and the pain in my chest dissolved to warm honey and flowed to my stomach, shooting sweetness and warmth from my head to my tiny, shrunken toes in the water.

We heard a harsh bleating interrupting us and we turned to see Snowy in a defensive stance on the sand like a dog barking at an intruder in its territory. I was imagining the lamb as a spicy curry so I could eat it and let it never get between Josiah and me, but I kept the dreamy thoughts to myself for I was afraid of losing Josiah's fondness. Josiah confusingly staring at his lamb, said, "We must check on Snowy."

That was what it wanted! Your attention!

I bit the inside of my cheek and as Josiah advanced to the sand, I kept splashing water at him which made him laugh.

*

"Get off me!" I shouted at Snowy who was chewing my hair while I was resting on the sand. I expected my pale skin to turn into a lovely tan, but my body was a bright red as if I was covered in rashes. The sun's rays somehow penetrated through the umbrella over us and I was feeling faint. I glanced at Josiah who was coolly laying down next to me, his eyes peacefully closed.

I nearly felt bad waking him up, but when my stomach rumbled for the second time, I shook him madly. "Wake up! It's lunchtime!"

His eyes fluttered open and for a moment he looked lost like a puppy in a maze, but then a kind smile graced his lips. "Where will we go for lunch?"

"The Viking asked us to meet there." I pointed at a building with a rooftop restaurant and all three of us headed there, Josiah and I exchanging secretive smiles in the presence of a jealous Snowy.