In Which She Is Wanted By The Police

We were dashing in hopes of finding some hiding place when I spotted a wooden cabin. I hurriedly dragged Josiah and the lamb which was not his lamb inside and shut the heavy door. I covered my mouth with my hand, placed my other one on a flummoxed Josiah's mouth to muffle the noise of our shallow breaths. The lamb opened it's stupid mouth, but I gestured it to shut up. It yawned as if it was tired of my bullshit.

I heard shuffling of footsteps outside and I was frightened that my loud heartbeats would give away our location. Fortunately, the footsteps receded and I reclined against the door in relief. It was pitch dark inside and Josiah stumbled here and there, to find a light switch. I heard him click a button and the entire cabin flooded with dim, yellow lights.

We hadn't seen the stacks of crates containing fruits and veggies all surrounding us, the produce glowing under the lights like gold. Before I could restrain the lamb, it charged in excitement like a dormant volcano which was suddenly activated. The fruits and veggies had to suffer its torment and I tugged at the lamb's leash, but it refused to stop chewing on them.

"Snowy---"

"That's not Snowy."

"Whatever it is, help me!" I shouted, trying to pull the lamb. "You lambs are tolerable only in tasty curries!" I shouldn't have said that because the lamb furiously turned around and I screeched, "I didn't mean that!"

Before it could head-butt me, Josiah stepped in between and caressed the lamb's soft fur. The lamb defiantly shook his hand off and resumed destroying the food. I marched towards the entrance, pushing the door with all my strength. "We have to get out of here before this  monster gobbles everything up!" I heaved as I continued to push, but to no avail. The stubborn door was stuck which meant we were stuck in here too. Josiah understood me because I could see a wild look in his eyes and I confirmed his doubts by cursing, "Fuck."

Now, I would not mind if I was trapped with only Josiah, I dreamed of such moments, but the annoying lamb was with us. A lamb which wasn't ours. A lamb that I stole thinking it was stolen in alliance with Josiah.

I had become a thief.

Unknowingly, but nevertheless. Instead of feeling worried, a thrilling sensation coursed through my body. Who would have thought that this mildly bleak summer would turn out this adventurous?

"We have to first stop him from eating that. Or else we would have to pay for the losses," Josiah said, taking the leash and whistling in the professional way that shepherds do.

"Then what are we going to do?" I asked feverishly, planning how we would pass our time here for months before anyone would us. I said aloud, talking to myself, "But it won't take months. The police will try to find us too. Not because the Viking would have bothered reporting us as missing, but because we're robbers now."

Josiah's gaze slowly flickered between me and the lamb and realisation dawned on him like the late blossoming of flowers. He quickly let go of the leash as if he had touched a hot, iron rod. Then he fisted his curls in anguish which made him look super sexy.

Yes, yes, I didn't mind being stuck with him at all, if it only wasn't for that goddamn lamb.