Chapter 34

I shift unsteadily on my feet, wondering how Mia has managed to get into the house, yet again.

"What are you doing here?"

It's a simple enough question for her to answer, but she doesn't reply straight away, just observes the room before her eyes settle on my stomach.

"I guess I should say congratulations."

I swallow the lump in my throat and look towards the front door, it's open, but the outer door isn't.

"You can run, don't know why you would though. I haven't come here to hurt you or the.... Baby." She forces out.

"Then why are you here?" I repeat.

"Came to see you." She shrugs nonchalantly.

Now I hope Zak does check the flaming cameras.... Maybe he is already on his way home?

"How did you get on the community again?"

She shrugs "I have my ways."

Now doesn't that unnerve me.

"You've done this before? Since you left?" I ask, but she shrugs, still not committing herself to anything. It's frustrating to say the least.

"Are you happy that you're...." she motions to my stomach with her hand.

"Yes." I answer, instantly.

At first, in the beginning, I was concerned, anxious and maybe a little excited. But Zak has been nothing but supportive, a rock in the wave of all this. He has supported me, listened to my worries, soothed me and I know he loves me and what our life is going to become in the future. Now I lay awake at night with nothing but excitement, wondering when our little bump will grace the world and tear up our lives with laughter and love.

I'm more than happy. I'm elated.

"Very quick to answer." Mia says.

"I know the answer because it's true. I cannot wait. Why are you here?"

"I've told you, I've come to see you."

"Why?"

She laughs, it lifts her face and I'm blessed with a look at the old Mia. The Mia before all this shit began. "Not very hospitable of you. Aren't you going to offer me a drink?"

"I don't feel hospitable when you've broke into my home. No."

She opens her mouth to speak when a loud clatter rocks the house making my eyes fly towards the kitchen where Zak appears. Eyes wide and slightly out of breath.

His eyes are fixated on me as he comes in and straight to my side, his hands grasping my face. "Are you okay?"

I nod quickly holding onto his wrist before glancing at Mia, who watched the scene without a word.

When Zak tears his eyes off me, he pins them on Mia. "What the fuck are you doing in my.. Our home?"

"Yikes.." She sighs, standing up, making me step back and pull on Zak's wrist.

His arm comes back and with a gentle push, I'm placed behind him. Zak using himself as a shield.

"What is wrong with you? Why can't you leave us alone? Sophie said—."

"Sophie doesn't know I'm here." Mia interrupts as I peek around Zak.

"Then why are you? I heard you were receiving help..."

"I was, I am. I just felt like I needed to come here." She answers.

"Why?" Both myself and Zak shoot back.