Chapter 17

Elle POV

"Babe? What is it?" I ask, stepping into the garden.

When Zak turns, his eyes are wide, his chest is heaving for breaths, he looks terrified, angry, confused and worried. Sophie is behind me, looking at him too, when Billy tumbles out the back door followed by the rest of the crew.

Sophie almost jumps out of her skin at the sudden influx of people, but I can't introduce her now, something was going on.

"It's Gracie!" Zak shouts, capturing my attention instantly, his eyes tearing around the garden again in disbelief. He looks at me and points to the open back gate. "Someone has taken her! She's gone!"

I look at the gate, now wide open and then at him. "No. She-."

"She isn't here, Elle!" He shouts, panic taken hold of his voice. "Gracie?!"

"She couldn't have gone far, don't panic. Nobody would take her." I know the second I say those words, that they were the wrong ones as his eyes blaze over to mine.

"Your psycho fucking friend would!" He snaps, racing out the gate and around the house to the drive.

We all follow after him and I pray that Mia is still in the car and has nothing to do with this. But Sophie's car is empty..

Zak turns looking at me, throwing his arms up in the air.

"She wouldn't hurt her." I tell him, hoping that would be true.

"How the hell would you know?!" He shouts stepping towards me. I involuntary take a step back and Billy slides between us.

"Bro. Calm it down.. We will get her back." He says, gripping Zak by his arms.

"I- I need her Bill." Zak answers, sounding broken.

"I know bro. I know. Let's get shoes on first though, yeah?" He suggests.

I go to speak to him when Sophie touches my arm and shakes her head. But as Zak is about to walk through the back gate, he stops and looks at us both.

"Find her, before I do. Because I will do time, if she has harmed my dog.." The coldness in his voice chills me to the bone, but I know he is telling me the truth.

Gracie is not a pet, she is not just a dog. She is his soulmate, she is the link between him and his gran. She is the first thing he loved after experiencing such a loss. Their bond was something written from a book, the silent communication between them with a look always made me envy and smile at the same time. His ying and her yang and I was lucky to be a part of all that.

I also know, he would burn Vegas back to the dirt it rose out of to find her.

Billy moves him on and gives me an apologetic look. When I turn around, I find Bacon, Jay and Aaron making a plan sending themselves in separate directions on the community.

"I'll drive around in my car." Sophie says to them, rushing over and hopping in.

As the guys leave, I look between the house and the community. Do I stay here in case she comes back? Do I go searching too, I mean, I should considering it's all down to Mia yet again!

My mind is torn into two, fear is creeping into my bones and my panic has tripled.  What if we can't find her?

My stomach knots painfully and I can't comprehend what Zak is going through at this very second.

Would she hurt Gracie?

Why would Mia take her?

One thing comes into mind.. Money.