Chapter 14

The silence in the room was deafening, as Mia's eyes slowly moved off Zak to lock onto mine. Her appearance had changed drastically, but so had the look behind her eyes, as now it was twisted with pain and hurt.

"Recognise me? Do you?" She asks. "Because I can't recognise myself anymore!"

I step forward, but Zak's hand latches onto my wrist preventing me from moving further. Glancing back at him, I see his eyes wide, still locked onto Mia who is panting heavily.

"You..." She growls making me look back to her to see her eyes have shifted back to Zak. "You think I'd hurt her?"

"You destroyed my garden and terrified her and my dog. Yes I'd think you'd hurt her." Zak bites back.

Mia tilts her head "And why was I here? Did you tell her that?"

"I'm warning you-"

"What?!" She snaps. "What are you going to do?!"

I look at Zak, confused "What is going on?"

Since Mia had arrived, a tremendous amount of hate had been cast from her eyes in Zak's direction, she almost vibrated with hate but I didn't know why, surely this all didn't revert back to me. I'm missing something, something pretty fucking big.

"It's nothing babe." Zak says, squeezing my wrist. "Go into the bedroom. Mia shouldn't be here. At all."

"No, stay Elle. Stay and find out what your precious fucking Zak is really like. Maybe then you'll take him off the peddle stool you've put him on." She snarls.

I frown. "Someone better tell me what is going on right now? How did you get on the community? You're not allowed on here, at all?" I ask her before turning to Zak. "Why is she so mad at you?"

Mia's laugh stops Zak's words leaving his mouth. "He won't tell you the truth, the man is built on a lie! Go on Zak.. Speak."

I look to Zak who tries to turn me away from Mia completely. "Elle, baby.. Listen. You have to believe me when I tell you this isn't how I imagined it would pan out."

"Me either." Mia chirps.

"But I did it with good intention. Remember this morning? What I said?" He asks.

I nod at him. "You do everything with good intentions, out the goodness of your heart, in. My best interests, I get that. But what has happened here?"

"He threatened me." Mia says, making my head whip around.

"What?"

She nods "Came to me to warn me away, promised he would make my life hell."

"You came to me and I didn't mean it like that and you know it." Zak fires back.

"Then what did you mean?" I ask him.

Zak looks at me, desperation creeping into his features. "I meant that she wouldn't get a job in Vegas again. Elle you were so stressed out and your seizures were out of control. I wanted it to stop and the only way I knew how was removing the problem."

"Which is when he offered me money to get lost. Even offered to pay for a house out of the state, isn't that right Zak?"

"Stop twisting it, Mia!"

I look at Zak "Is that true?"

"I did it for you. I gave her money to get away from you but she then laughed in my face and began blackmailing me. She is the reason I'm on my phone all the time. Why I take it everywhere. It's her, demanding more money.."

This is the Karma.. The text message I deleted, wasn't from some side woman, it was Mia.. Blackmailing him.

"I lost everything." She growls from across the room. "The least you can do is pay for the damage you've caused. We were all fine until you came along!"