Chapter 13

Since arriving back home in Vegas, it had been full steam ahead in getting through the investigation footage. Billy had taken the majority, leaving myself and Zak some footage and all the EVP recorders.

After breakfast, we usually crashed on the couch with a recorder, earbuds, notepad and pen so that we could write times down on when we thought we heard an EVP. Whatever we found would be put through a programme on Billy's computer which would clear it up and help us understand what the spirit was saying. I also had a little column running down the page of what I thought was being said, just to give the guys a starting point.

It was only when the last piece of footage had been reviewed, that we stopped and set it all away for Billy, Zak and Zak's friend Devlin to review and pin together an episode.

Today was a day off, for us both and I had noticed a shift in Zak since waking up. I figured that he was mentally drained from reviewing work, so I had made myself busy within the house, keeping out of his way to let him decompress.

I was walking through the lounge when Zak stepped out the kitchen. "Hey, can we talk?"

"Yeah of course." I reply. "Wanna sit down?"

He shifts on his feet, before nodding and joining me as I round the couch and sit down. The fidgeting with his clothes, the rubbing of his hands and pushing of his glasses tell me that he is nervous. Something is up...

"Talk to me." I urge.

He wets his lips. "You know everything I do, I do for your best interests.."

I nod. "Sounds ominous."

"But you know I do it with good intentions, yeah?"

"Of course." I reply quickly, sensing his anxiety rising.

"And when I tell you, you can't be mad at me. You have to listen.."

Why, when people say that, do you instantly begin to get mad? Is it just me?

"Well I can't promise you, if I don't know.." I explain.

"Shit.." He mutters, shifting on the couch, turning his body to face mine as he takes my hands. "I know you're going to be pissed at me. But this fear, it's crippling me."

I frown "What fear? Zak have you brought something home?"

He shakes his head "I got us an appointment."

Appointment, huh?

"I don't understand. Why would I be mad that you've made an appointment." I answer.

"Because it's for us. It's with a specialist. The best in town."

"Specialist for what?"

"Epilepsy." He answers.

I pull my hands from his and sit back looking at him, before sitting forward again. "You've done what?"

"I can't accept this, any of this. The prospect of you having surgery. I can't and I won't. Not yet. I- Fuck." He says turning away as his eyes get watery.

I watch as the man I come to for strength, laughter and love, sits before me and shows just how much this is scaring him. My anger that was building crumbles, and I shift closer to him. "Hey.." I whisper.

"I am trying not to think about it so much but every time I watch you sleep, or you go for a shower, I worry. I worry you're gonna fall and knock your head, or you're going to go in your sleep because I read that happens." He says looking at me.

"It's very rare." I tell him quietly.

"Very rare isn't as good as it never happening. El, you can be mad with me, you can hate me, everything, but I need you to be here, with me."