Chapter 1

Looking at the piece of paper in my hand, I feel the anxiety steal my heart. Dropping it into my stomach as my eyes read the words again.

"El?!"

Hearing Zak, I stuff the letter into my bag and wipe the brewing tear away before hurrying out the wardrobe with my hold-all.

"I'm coming!" I call back, giving the room a once over before we leave. I meet Zak in the lounge where he is holding my laptop bag, waiting for me.

"You all right?" He asks as I approach.

"I'm okay." I nod as Bacon comes in and takes my hold-all and disappears back to the RV, leaving me and Zak alone again.

"Hey." He frowns, stepping in towards me. "Okay isn't good enough. What is it?"

It's been a couple months since I've been working with him on the road, so far everything has been great! He's happier than ever to go away and returning home together has its perks. We usually spend the first two days at home decompressing from energy and exhaustion before facing the world again.

But I've yet to tell him about the looming possibility of surgery for my epilepsy.

I know I should have told him. But... Happy Zak touches my soul so deep that I don't want to replace it with worry.

"Elle." Zak speaks lifting my face to look at his eyes. "What is it?"

"Nothing. I'm okay, I'm fine." I smile.

It doesn't sit with him. We are too combine not to notice how the other acts, looks, feels. He is the other half of my soul...

"We are not leaving this house-"

"We haven't got time for all this nonsense. You promised I could go to the bookstore before we leave." I remind him.

"I know. But you're eating away at that time by giving me BS."

His counter is good, I have to give him that.

I sigh "Fine, I'm just worried that this one is going to be a little different." I tell him.

"Because of possessions?"

"Yeah. We've been pretty lucky thus far."

"I know, but I will take extra precautions, no matter what. The guys know the drill when we finish the lockdowns too."

Cleanse and bless.

"I'm just being silly. Come on, books." I hurry him on as Bacon calls for us.

********

I could spent my life in here.

Well maybe not all my life in a bookstore, it would probably get boring, stuffy, I'd be hungry for more than just food too, as I eye Zak between the shelves.

His shirt collar is open exposing his neck, calling for me to go over and examine. But I don't, instead I try to focus on the books in front of me, and not the hunk on the other side.

It's hard. Very hard.

"Found anything yet?" Zak asks, catching my eyes between the shelves.

"No.."

"Hmm."

It's a noncommittal sound but I know we are pushing it for time, I really thought I would come here and find a read that would steal my heart away. So far, I've ogled a man that I spent all my time with.

It's not time wasted. Oh not at all.

"Well I got some, I'm gonna head off and pay for them, I'll buy whatever ones you want too." He says, rounding the shelve and stopping to kiss my temple.