Chapter 18

Zak POV

Watching Elle sleep was soul soothing, something about the way she gripped the sheets and the light breathing she did always relaxed me, which is why I often sat by the side of her, just enjoying it. I sometimes stopped before it got creepy, but it took a while.

We were meant to be heading to the museum, hell I had planned to go hours ago, but through the night, Elle had stirred and eventually I was alerted to a seizure she was having in her sleep. Part of my mind was exhausted, but it was being revitalised now, just by watching her. I also wanted to get to the doctors office before they closed today, so I propped up a note I had wrote beside a bottle of water and quietly left Elle to sleep and Gracie to snooze.

The drive across town was relatively smooth, and when I stepped into the office to pick up the medication, the receptionist was waiting with a smile. I had to fill in some paperwork and settle the bill from our last visit, whilst the receptionist collected the medication and information regarding this new treatment from the doctor who was squirrelled away in his office. She warned me of side effects as well as possible reactions, all of which were written down in the information pack provided... More night time reading for me.

Then it was time to head across town, to the museum. I checked my phone regularly to see if Elle had rang, if she had, I would swing back home and pick her up, but with no notifications in sight, I figured she would still be asleep.

Swinging my keys around my thumb, I head for the back door when I hear someone clearing their throat, I pause and turn to find Sophie. My eyes instantly begin looking for Mia...

"She's not with me." Sophie says making me nod my head.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her. "Elle isn't here."

"I know, I can see that. But I've come to speak to you."

"About?"

"Well can we go inside or?"

I want to keep her outside, but I realise we are in a blind spot on the cameras and open the door before hustling inside. We are only stood in the foyer of the museum, but it's far enough and covered with CCTV, so I know I'm safe to speak.

My body feels a strange pull, and I look over my shoulder again, searching in the dark corridors trying to figure out why I suddenly feel the urge to kick Sophie out. Something was off.. But right now, I needed to deal with this.

Sophie's eyes look around, pausing on the cameras before looking at me. "You're wary."

"My dog was stolen yesterday, with you comes Mia and with Mia comes trouble." I respond.

She nods "Cant argue with you on that. But I'm not here to talk about yesterday.. I'm here to talk about Elle."

I fold my arms, not speaking a word.

"I don't trust you." She says making my brows lift. I don't know what I've done, but I've to pissed in her cornflakes.

"Feeling is mutual."

"I don't know what your intentions are. What game you're playing or how this all pans out, but I can see the aftermath and I don't like it. You're going to destroy her."

My jaw clenches as I am here, dealing with yet another interfering wench.

"Can I ask, what has my relationship with Elle got to do with you?"

"She's my friend. I don't want her to get hurt."

"Who said I was going to hurt her?"

"I know about you, Zak."