Do you remember summer 09' ?

3 years ago , summer 09'

"Marissa?" I whispered and knocked on the door glass.

" In a minuet" I heard Marissa's voice say.

...her voice was weak, like she had been crying. I looked at the present that I had in my hands. It was in a small red box with golden ribbon around it. The other day we were walking with Zayn, Liam and Harry and she kept staring at the same thing over and over again when we walked past the shop window. I noticed that I was smiling like an idiot. Marissa opened the door. My smile disappeared when I saw that she was red in the eyes.

" What happened?" I asked her and she smiled, but the tears that she had just dried with the corner of Liam's red sweatshirt that she was always wearing , came again and no matter how hard she tried to dry them away before I could say something they came more and more.

" Wow wow Marissa? What happened?" I asked. I really wanted to pull her in a hug, but we weren't that good friends. She was my best friends sister and we hung out with her few times. She was 13, and I 14 ...What to do?

" Well..." She sobbed. " My mom and dad forgot my birthday....I guess it's fine and all that and I wasn't gonna cry about it. They promised me that we would go out for dinner on a nice restaurant to celebrate my birthday, but when Liam came home and told them that his team won the season and he scored the winner goal they were so happy for him that on the restaurant they toasted for Liam...not the birthdaygirl...Which kinda, hurt." She said and looked down.

" I'm sure they didn't mean to change the situation and let Liam get all the attention" I said and tried to confort her but she looked at me like I was so silly.

" I'm not blaming Liam...It's not his fault that he's their favorite" She said and giggled as she dried the last tear.

Marissa looked at me and forced a smile.

" You wanted to show me something?" She asked and I woke up from many thoughts that were swimming in my head.

" Oh right that...erm yeah let's go" I said and started walking. Without speaking we walked to the train station, waited few minuets and took the train.

" Where are we?" Marissa asked when we walked towards the sea. It was dark outside and the moon was high on the sky. 

" Is this fire that I'm looking at?" Marissa asked surprised. I had made fire before I took Marissa down here...The lads were coming too, but I wanted to be alone with Marissa before they came. I don't know why.

" Yep, It's getting cold so why not fire, and why not, a guitar?" I asked and picked up the guitar that I had left. No one came there, and this was our place to hang out so I could leave the guitar here with out anyone stealing it. Marissa giggled as she sat down and I sat down next to her with her gift in one hand and the guitar in another.

" Happy birthday" I said and handed her the gift.

" Niall you didn't have to" She said as she took the gift. 

" Just open it" I said and Marissa looked at me smiling. 

" Oh Niall ! How did you know?" She asked as she laughed and took up probably the pinkest socks that I've ever seen.

" You can return them if you don't like them" I said but she shook her head.

" I bet it was really akward for you to buy them, I could never return something cute like that" She said and grinned.