41 | sixth

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE | S I X T H

        IT HAD BEEN A WHILE since Brie felt this excited to meet someone. As she sprinted toward her locker with her hair flying, she wondered if this was how the heroines in the dramas that Paula enjoyed binge-watching until the wee hours of the morning felt like. Did their hearts feel so full yet light? Were they unable to hold back their smiles? Were their hands so clammy from excitement?

She hoped, because she couldn't hold back her grin. Just thinking about how Ollie would look like when he'd see her and how his lips felt against her skin last night made her whole body feel like it was sitting under the warm sun on a bright afternoon. Even her cheeks felt like they were on fire.

She was meeting him at the pool; the place where he always proved his excellence, and god did she feel like squealing. Her imagination ran wild. Could she expect a nice set-up? Was he gonna show her how good he was at swimming?

The list of possibilities was endless and so was the excitement she felt.

But as soon as she pulled open her locker's door, the glee faded. Another letter dropped to the floor. This time, it was a rose-pink envelope and it slid off the stack of her books as soon as she opened her locker, falling right next to her worn-out Converse in a very non-extravagant whoosh. She stared at it with uncertainty, and for the first time, she dreaded the fact that her name was written on its back in clean and crisp strokes.

It was definitely from Xander.

Why was he keep sending her letters? Why was he making it hard for her?

With pursed lips, Brie scanned the empty hallway, afraid that anyone would see and tell Izzy before picking up the envelope. It felt thicker this time, she noted, slapping it against her palm. The confusion made her frown. What was Xander up to this time?

She placed a finger under the flap, ready to slide it open until her phone chimed. She quickly pulled it out of her bag. It was Ollie.

I'm starting to look like an idiot all by myself. It would've been a lot more bearable if u keep me company.

Then, her phone chimed again.

Lol.

She rolled her eyes, tossed the envelope into her backpack and zipped it up. It was with a face-splitting grin that she thought, she didn't mind sharing his company. Definitely no. Not at all.

-

"Why thank you, madame, for sparing my heart the misery of sitting alone at an empty pool stadium."

Ollie made a show standing up from the bleachers and bowing. Brie rolled her eyes but laughed anyway. How could she not when he looked spectacularly cute today? He was in a plain, round-neck, black T-shirt, washed jeans and fancy, multi-colored sneakers.

Even his hair that was usually falling over his blue eyes were brushed back, giving her unlimited access to how blue his eyes were.

Cute. Definitely, cute.

Why did she feel like she was fangirling over him?

"I wouldn't ask if you like what you see because you obviously do." He stepped down the bleachers and sauntered over to her. The way he moved was very obnoxious and obviously played. "Right?"