29 | dumplings

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE | D U M P L I N G S

        IT WAS XANDER'S WARM SMILE that greeted them at Liu's doorstep; bright, big, and welcoming. It was the exact same smile that got Brie hook, line, and sinker in their sophomore year, the same smile that had her feet toppling. Brie felt her stomach mimicking the motion of the ocean waves again. It lurched, climbed, and ran until it left her feeling empty and weak with conscious restraint.

Stop. Snap out of it.

She was moving on. She knew better. He was off-limits and everything that wasn't right for her.

The sound of Paula's amused snort caught her off-guard as her friend pushed past them to get in the house, swinging two bags with boxes of donuts on her arm. The Paula who gave herself a pep talk inside her Beatle already gone. "Where's your mom? We brought donuts."

"She's in the kit—okay. She's gone." Xander turned to her with a pained smile.

"Sorry about that," Brie said, scratching her arm. "You know how Paula is."

They both laughed when Xander gave an exaggerated nod.

"No problemo. Come on in."

At the sight of Xander's Adidas flip-flops, Brie easily slipped her sneakers off her feet and placed them on the wooden shoe rack that was right next to the coats. Paula obviously didn't do the same, completely forgetting about the silent rule in the Liu's home.

Xander watched her with an appreciative smile that threatened to kick-start another round of palpitations in her chest, then pointed to the direction of the kitchen with his thumb. "Let's go?"

She nodded. They arrived to see Mrs. Liu laughing with Paula who had a pink-frosted donut in her mouth. They both stood in front of the stove, Paula wide-eyed as she watched whatever it was cooking in the steaming pot—chewing distastefully with her mouth open, while Mrs. Liu remained graceful in all her four foot eleven glory.

She barely reached Paula's shoulder but the woman radiated authority and grace. She wore a plain button-down white shirt, sleeves rolled up to her elbows and collar pulled stiffly up her neck. Her ears were adorned with small pearl earrings and her shiny black hair was slicked back into a tight bun.

Xander's mom always brought a feeling of mixed emotions to Brie. Well, maybe it ran in the family because she was sure her son had an eerily similar effect on her. She was either too nervous to speak, afraid to show her face, or in awe of her presence. She rarely showed herself to Xander's friends. Most of the time when they would hang out at the Liu's home, both Xander's parents were out. In the three years that they often visited in their huge house, Brie could count on one hand the number of times she saw his mom, much less his dad. And every time, she still get intimidated by her no matter how motherly she looked. Maybe it was the way she'd arch her brow ever so lightly when Simon would guffaw while at the family dining table. Or the way she'd only give a small, almost stoic smile at their replies to her questions.

Or maybe Brie was just overly paranoid and guilty of her feelings for Xander. The very same feelings that she shouldn't be harboring right now.

Mrs. Liu looked up just in time to greet them. "Hello, Aubrie. My son told me you love my Kung Pao chicken."

Of all the times Brie's tongue chose to malfunction, it was at this moment when Xander's mom was watching her carefully with her distinct bright hazel eyes.

"Uh," she laughed. It sounded awkward, uncomfortable and pained and sure enough, she saw Paula wince. "Sure! I mean, yes. Of course, ma'am."

Xander's mom only gave her a small smile; the same smile that always adorned her round face. "That's nice to hear, dear. Now grab an apron from the hook right next to the pantry and I'll teach you how to make it."