Chapter 42: 1666

I sank to the floor and pulled my knees to my chest. I ran my hands through my hair trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall. This had been a wonderful, carefree day and now I felt the uncertain future weighing down twice as hard on my shoulders.

You will be the death of him, a voice taunted over and over. I placed my hands over my ears, trying to block the voice out. I couldn't be, I wouldn't be.

At some point another voice chimed in;

Be strong Leina. I recognised the Goddess' voice and focused on her melodic words instead.

Eventually, the taunting voice faded and I calmed down. My sudden intense anxiety curbed, now all that was left was my intense desire to be with Talon, to hug him and know he wasn't going anywhere.

I got to my feet and closed my eyes. I focused on the ethereal chain that existed between us; our blood-bond. I breathed in deeply and began to walk towards him, walking down hallway after hallway in this maze of a mansion.

I heard his voice before I saw him; I turned a corner and saw candlelight flickering from a doorway down the end of the hall.

"Leina is not Aliénor and I am not Devyn." Talon said frustrated, I could hear his anger barely in check. I crept closer, listening.

"No, you're not." Elias said, laughing darkly.

"Tell me, have the cravings returned? What do you think will happen when they do? Have you told her?" Talon's silence said it all: No. Elias' next words made me jump;

"You might as well come in, Leina, we know you're there." Elias sang.

Crap. You should know by now you can't sneak up on vampires, especially one you're blood-bound to! The voice at the back of my head tsked.

I entered the room, grimacing knowing I had been caught red-handed. Talon's back was to me, and he didn't turn to face me when I entered, he just continued to presumably glare at his father.

"Tell me what?" I decided to throw it out there when no-one spoke. Talon tensed but still didn't turn to look at me.

"It seems like you two have a lot to discuss." Elias said, smug. He looked between Talon and I, apparently satisfied.

Finally, Talon turned to face me; his eyes were a stormy grey and seething. They relaxed a little when they met my gaze and he smiled tightly as he reached for my hand.

"Let's go Leina, I think we're done with storytelling tonight." He growled as he began to pull me along with him out the room.

"Leina, do ask him about 1666." Elias' called out as we left.

What happened in 1666? My frantic mind immediately wondered. But no matter how curious I was, I was not about to ask Talon right now.

He was angry, his eyes flashing, his grip on my hand a little too tight as he led me back through the maze of the mansion. So I kept my mouth shut and let him drag me along with him.

By the time we reached his room, he had calmed down a little. It wasn't until we were in and he closed the door behind me that he breathed out deeply, closing his eyes. He took a couple more breaths and when he opened his eyes, they were starting to look more like their usual blue.

"Sorry about that- my father and-there's something about being back at this place- the way he treats me like a child-it just makes me so angry." He said, his blue eyes apologetic.