Chapter 21: Drink

"Leina and Ava, you both have to promise me you will not tell anyone. And don't go showing your tattoo to anyone, Leina. " Bridget said, her voice hard and squeezing my hand.

"Yes, I promise," I answered, confused. Ava nodded and promised too.
"But why? What is an Elemental witch?"

"I think...well, I need to consort with some contacts first. I will explain further soon." she said, sounding for once unsure but a promise clear in her words.
"I'm sorry about tonight. The council is just trying to make the best decision for all of us and keep us safe. If they move against the Children of the Night it will mean war." She looked at me, her eyes imploring me to trust her.

I nodded, feeling overwhelmed but there was something else that was still bothering me.

"They've got another witch there at the camp. That's why you couldn't scry for me, they're forcing her to use her magic to conceal the location but it's not her fault- we have to help her-" I started.

"Don't worry Leina, I'm sure her coven has spoken to the council and they are strategising the best way to rescue her. She will be fine." Bridget reassured. I nodded, realising of course her coven would be looking for her. That had to be the reason why the council didn't bother to acknowledge my words, they already knew about her.

They're probably thinking of a plan right now, my mind reasoned, and finally I felt some of the tension in me, ease.

"I think, for now...you must try and forget these horrible events and move on with your life." Bridget continued, smiling tightly, an apology and tears in her eyes. She pulled me into a hug and kissed my head motherly. I hugged her back, still shocked.

How could I be an Elemental witch? What even was that? I would have to wait for Bridget to tell me more. She was scared, that much was clear. Why? I had no idea. But for now, I would do as Bridget asked.

I followed Ava back into her house numbly.

How could I go back to normal after everything that had happened?

**

The next day was dedicated to getting my life back in order. I went through all the messages and voicemails on my phone, cringing- my parents had thought the worst. I made sure to reply to people, including my boss at work, so they knew I was ok. I told people I had been sick with the flu and had broken my phone. It was a lame excuse but most people didn't pry any further.

Lucy, my boss, was one of the first to reply:

Sure you're not pulling an Eric Draven? Were you killed and resurrected by a bird and are now on a revenge quest?

I laughed out loud at her reference to the 90's cult film The Crow and texted back:

No resurrection needed, I'm fine. Sorry for not being in touch! Can I come make you a coffee? X

I worked at the cafe on the University campus. I liked the job, it was easy, convenient, close to home and Lucy was a blast.

I waited for the 11:00am morning tea rush of customers to pass and then I tiptoed into the cafe, black rose in hand. The black rose was a peace offering/apology gift to Lucy. I smiled as she came into view- purple hair in two high buns on either side of her head, all dressed in black lace, gothic jewellery, piercings and her signature black lipstick.

"The flu?" She said, narrowing her eyes and crossing her arms as I approached. I held my breath and prepared to grovel.

"I'm so sorry-" I started to say when she laughed.