13. breaking up is hard to do

it had been months since the last time we've seen the couple. these last couple months have been fun for the two. they went on so many dates such as, picnics, going to the drive in, dancing in the rain, going to the library and so many more adventures. y/n had even bought an apartment in new york city and finn had been staying with her but also staying at the hotel some nights.

tonight, finn asked y/n to come to his hotel room to watch the sunset. finn had some heartbreaking news to tell y/n and he didn't want to ruin the feel in her new apartment.

she got there and they went to the balcony to watch the sunset.

"y/n?"

"yes, finn?"

"i have something i need to tell you," he told her.

she looked at him with love in her eyes and waited for him to go on. it hurt to see her look at him like that when he had to do what he had to do. he couldn't bare to look at him during this, so he looked away.

"i got a new job and they're filming near my hometown in british columbia," he blurted out.

"that's great, finn!" y/n exclaimed. "i'm so happy for you!" she only wanted the best for finn. she knew that british columbia was far but she knew it was worth it. they would have to have a long distance relationship but she would try her hardest to keep them together.

"there's a problem though," finn gulped. "b.c. is far, very far! and i know you'll probably be staying here in new york or going back home to new jersey..." finn trailed off.

'please don't take your love away from me' y/n thought. 'don't you leave my heart in misery' she thought about how blue she would be if she didn't have him in her life.

she was nervous for what he would say next but she gestured for him to go on.

"so, you know most long distance relationships don't usually work out," he started. y/n felt her eyes get watery, as she knew what was coming next. "so i think we should break up." he choked out.

"w-what?" she cried. she took a second to breathe and watch the sunset. she listened to the music they were playing and heard the song maybe by the chantels come on. she thought back to the cottage when they had their first kiss.

then, a slow song came on. it was maybe by the chantels.

"oh... i can change it if you-" y/n didn't even get to finish her sentence before finn interrupted her.

"no, i like it" he smiled at her. "would you like to dance?" he asked, sticking his hand out towards her.

"i might take a chance," she smirked and grabbed his hand.

the two slow danced together for what felt like forever. they swayed to the music together and enjoyed it.

near the end of the song, y/n looked up at finn and looked right in his eyes. he looked back into her eyes and smiled. then, he looked down to her lips quickly. she did the same to finn.

right when the song ended, finn took a chance and leaned in to kiss her. y/n saw what he was doing and pressed her lips against his.

maybe if i cry everyday, you'll come back to stay. ohhhh maybe.

they pulled away and made eye contact. y/n smiled as she felt the blood rush to her cheeks and she looked down.

they spent the rest of the night swinging and swaying to the sound of the music in the background.

"think of  all that we've been through!" she sobbed. "don't say this is the end!"

"i'm so sorry,y/n. this hurts me as much as this hurts you. i really wish we didn't have to do this but i don't want us to go through all the hurt if we do a long distance relationship." finn explained. he also started tearing up but was trying his hardest to hold it back.

"i beg of you, don't say goodbye" she begged. "can't we give our love another try?" she tried to convince him as tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"i'm sorry," he whispered. he couldn't hold his tears in anymore.

y/n got up and ran out of the room. finn sobbed into his hands for quite a while after the whole event happened.

y/n drove back to her apartment. she couldn't stop all the tears from flowing down her face.

people always told her that breaking up is hard to do and now she knew that it's true. she couldn't believe she would have to go through this type of pain.

she packed up a lot of her stuff into a suitcase and went to the airport to book a flight to new jersey. she was going home to spend time with her family so she would have someone to help her through this.

•••

she got back home and told her parents about everything that happened. she ended up crying again. they told her to go up to her room and have a nap. they know how tiring crying can get.

she got up to her room and it was as if she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

she slept the night away, trying to forget about the boy for as long as possible.