Chapter 10

Reddened with rage, Ranbir stormed to the terrace. From time to time, he had reflected upon one question, why did he have to suffer so much? At what cost and for whom? At much as he recalled his traumatic pre-teens; Ranbir was just a harmless kid - till date he had failed to comprehend as to what wrong did he commit to deserve all the hatred from everyone? 

All these years he soothed himself with a simple thought that he was just a forsaken child of God and that was the reason for his endless miseries - and for that simple reason, he had completely shut his inner self off from the rest of the world. As expected for him - no one cared, no one asked. And after innumerable efforts to find his true identity If he had to be truthful for once, maybe this was exactly what was written for him - to be aloof, to be hated. 

But then something different happened - he met Prachi. Oddly, out of everyone he had interacted with so far; she made him vulnerable - she brought a calming vibe at once; a feeling that was foreign to him for a long time - and that’s what he despised the most; he never wanted sympathy, support or care. It was normal for him to deliberately scare people away with his temper.

To his shock, none of that affected Prachi; he wanted her to keep a distance, he wanted her to hate him, he had intimidated her, humiliated her but she kept on coming closer and he wasn’t sure why. 

He cursed himself as he recalled her bloodied state at the edge of the road. Not once had he ever reacted to the gruesome attacks on him alone. But, for the first time he was frustrated, he felt powerless; was he just trying to protect her from the cruelty in his side of the world or was it because he was actually getting attached?

Perhaps Raghuveer was right to question him on his unlike behavior. But he wanted to stand firm on his grounds even if it meant to destroy others.

***********

Prachi shut the door and lay on the bed in silence. Despite being tender-hearted, she had terribly failed to peek into the emotional aspect of Ranbir’s personality; from insulting her, then protecting her twice, to again threatening her to leave the house; Ranbir had displayed a certain pattern of peculiar actions.

What surprised her even more was her unusual impulse to interact with him; even if it meant arguing with him or just having him around with his usual lunatic attitude. Why were his actions influencing her so much? Perhaps Neha was right, Ranbir’s aura was dominant and Prachi was strongly drawn towards him. The kind of emotions she had started to experience in his presence were different - different from whatever she had for Varun. If she could find one word to name them - they were intense. 

Though she had parted ways with Varun owing to his insensitivity and selfishness; Prachi subconsciously and repeatedly found herself giving into the devil’s wishes despite being degraded multiple times. Possibly, it was high time for her to accept that undoubtedly, she was crushing over Ranbir - Prachi reflected.

On hearing a knock on the door; she immediately fixed herself. Prachi loosened up a bit at seeing Raghuveer;

“All good?”

“Yes, please come in.” - she gave him a faint smile.

“Well, I was just leaving, I thought to check on you.”

“Where are you going?”

“Some office work; I’d be back in a few hours. Till then, have this glass of milk with these medicines.”