Chapter 19

Ranbir had just gotten downstairs, all set to leave, when some weird noise combinations, particularly opening and slamming of kitchen cabinets forced him to cease his steps mid-way. Peeking in, he saw Prachi walking in a disoriented fashion from one end of the kitchen counter to the other; searching the refrigerator, different containers one by one.

"Wasn't my bedroom, library and lounge area enough for you to roam about? That you have hijacked the kitchen area as well?" - Prachi gave no reaction and continued to shuffle through kitchen items.

"Are you even listening to me?!" - Again, she neither turned nor did she respond. Irritated, he rushed to her to face him.

"Haven't I told you not to show me your back when -" - But, Ranbir immediately stopped, and what he saw next was disturbing. Pale skin, unstable gait, chilled forehead and palms.

"Are you - are you okay?" - Ranbir whispered. Prachi immediately clutched his collar, struggling to stand amid experiencing dizziness.

"I need something - sweet." - Prachi whispered with almost blurry vision.

"Hang on." - He moved forward, wrapping his arms around her weakened frame and settled her on one of the sofas in the lounge area. "Don't you dare shut your eyes!"- He vigorously searched his backpack and got hold of a pouch of chocolate peanut butter bars, which Raghuveer had kept for him to eat during his journey.

"Try sitting up straight." - Not fully aware of her surroundings, she pulled herself up a little and observed his actions with a foggy sight. Ranbir slashed open 1 large bar and placed it in front of her lips. Reluctant at first, she took a medium sized bite. "You need to finish this, in my presence. I'll just bring juice for you." - He was about to move when she held his finger.

"Just cold water. Also, it would be nice if you could grab my cell phone for me. I guess I left it on the kitchen counter." Ranbir did the needful and stood near her.

"You're such a baby! - Observing her shaking hands, he took the glass from her grip; occupied a spot beside her. He then held up the glass in front of her to drink.

"Leaving?" - Prachi asked with a weak voice after maintaining silence for a couple of minutes.

"In the next half an hour." - Ranbir replied briefly.

Prachi's gaze followed him till he walked up to the kitchen counter, placed the empty glass on it and came back. Sitting a bit more upright, she closely observed his body language and facial expressions which suggested to her something contradictory. While a few hours ago in the garden, Ranbir seemed disinterested, yet clear about what he had to get done and how; at present, he had given off a different kind of detachment to the task at hand. There was no denial to his usual engrossment which he maintained to keep all unimportant entities and thoughts away from him including her but currently, he seemed unwilling to go; as if he wanted to convey something to her indirectly - possibly a slight tint of vulnerability. Was it because of her? Should she reassure him about her health?

"Haven't you seen my face before?" - His tone was flat and lower than usual but enough to break her chain of thoughts.

"Huh?" - Prachi didn't realize that while she was in her own thought process she absentmindedly had her eyes fixed on him. She looked away at the loss of words. "I - I am sorry." - She responded - mentally preparing herself for another humiliating remark. Yet, with his quiet demeanor, he walked towards her and sat on the opposite arm rest - directly facing her. He maintained his silence as he gazed at her pale features as if trying to figure out something.

"I couldn't care less, but why are you behaving as if you're going to kill yourself any minute?" - It took a moment for Prachi to form coherence between his statement and his earnest facial expressions.