Chapter 23

Prachi had been lying in the bed scrolling and switching through different social media apps for a while, despite being awake since 7 in the morning. But, it wasn't because of the comfortable environment of the room. In fact, she couldn't have a sound sleep at all. The cooling of the air-conditioner seemed to freeze her to death, and the heaviness of the curtains blocking the sun-rays seemed like a blockage in her flow of life. She could also feel an unusual stillness in the atmosphere of the house since she woke up. There were a few knocks on her door (most probably for her breakfast) but she deliberately didn't respond. Despite the dullness surrounding her she didn't feel like moving or even switching on the lamps. She felt too drained to actually move or talk to anybody downstairs; as if someone had sucked everything out of her. She did recite a few chapters of her Holy ebook as per her daily routine. Unfortunately, even that couldn't bring her peace this time.

She felt numb and was just looking for an escape.

She then scrolled through her WhatsApp. She had never been a social butterfly; with that being said, she always had the habit of being regularly in touch with the people in her residing area through messages on the "Community WhatsApp Group" and she would also meet and greet with neighbouring homes on several occasions, starting from bigger festivities such as religious get togethers, dinners, organising meetups at home, to simply greeting and helping adults/children on the way - Prachi has always been everyone's blue-eyed. Sure, her mother loved hosting gatherings for the entire town and it felt absolutely draining to her if the meet ups became too frequent, Prachi still tried her best to be nicer contrary to her quiet personality. She felt obligated to keep a balance between her introversion and her mother's strikingly different, hot temperament. However, she could see many unread messages which she hadn't bothered to read even once - since the time she moved into this house.

Interestingly, Prachi felt a huge contradiction in her actions, after staying here.

She still wasn't really keen on reading those messages (not even the outlines). She still wasn't interested in telling people her whereabouts or how she was doing - not even her mother or Aarti aunty, especially after the chaos both women bought on her, for asking a fair question - the disappearance of her estranged father. They had left a series of voice messages and Prachi had respectfully given both of them one-liner responses without listening to their voice notes. Why wouldn't she? Both of them didn't have the slightest idea of what she had been through. She then glanced at her display picture featuring herself and her mother, which she had lovingly kept and updated nearly 6 months ago. For whom did she even keep it anyway? For her mother; who hardly hugged her or kissed her?

Of course Aarti aunty knew the exact scenario and she had done an awesome job at keeping the situation back home under control and it was only because of her that maa somehow understood her stance till date. Obviously, she was a mother and no matter how much Prachi disagreed with her on multiple issues; she couldn't deny the fact that Pragya was the one who knew Prachi the most and despite her overwhelming concerns, she allowed her daughter to go and live a life on her own terms - she carefully pondered. 

But, if she had to be honest, and had to name someone closest to her after her mother, who could literally read her entangled mind, it was Neha. She was constantly in touch with Prachi as well as the two chaotic women back home; she knew about Ranbir, Raghu kaka and all the turn of events which took place. She was successfully being the bridge between her friend and the world outside the gates of this house. Because of her, the questionnaire prepared by Pragya had been deferred for an indefinite period of time. Because, somehow Neha knew that her friend was dying in the suffocating environment back home and within the hostel and campus gates.

Neha knew how to give personal space; she had known Prachi's endless longing for her estranged father more than anybody else and had been an amazing person to keep a perfect balance between her friend's point of views and Pragya's. Neha knew how and when to hit Prachi with a brutal reality check when needed - she just made her friend so at ease and at home. Over and above she knew her friend's attachment to the one short-tempered lad would leave her in a bigger mess if she won't deal with those feelings up front - Neha had practically begged her to stay here and she was more than grateful to her for that. If Neha hadn't been around and sincerely handled all ends of her friend's messier life, Prachi would have conveniently qualified for being grounded by Pragya forever. In other words, Neha was the best thing happening in her life and had so far given the most valuable and precious gift to her friend - she brought her to Ranbir.