Chapter 32 : Convoy (All Along the Watchtower)

Friday 19th July 1974

As another beautiful sunny summer day dawned, a ragtag convoy formed on the football pitch next to the main group of camp buildings. Alex counted over forty civilian cars before he stopped counting and another dozen or so mixed Royal Air Force military vehicles. There were 4 standard RAF Police and RAF Regiment Landrovers, positioned mainly at the front and rear of the convoy plus several large and covered three ton Bedford lorries. In addition there were three multi-wheeled armoured vehicles and a couple of smaller RAF vans.

All of which were plastered with Union Jacks of all shapes and sizes. Each car had at least two stickers on the front and back windows, plus several small Union Jack flags flying from small sticks attached to the windows on both sides. All of this in addition to the large and prominent Union Jack flags attached to the military vehicles which were stirring gently in the morning breeze.

Don had shared key aspects of the briefing several times, whilst Simon had looked on seriously, nodding at each point his dad made; everyone was to stay in the car at all times unless instructed otherwise, the convoy would progress slowly and all drivers were to stay strictly in single file, staying close to the vehicle in front. Should anyone have trouble with their car, they were to stop, sound their horn and wait for one of the escorting RAF vehicles to come to them. If the convoy encountered a roadblock or was stopped for any reason, again everyone was to remain in their cars and not engage in any way with anyone not part of the convoy.

The confidence of the convoy leader and clarity of the plan, allied to the large RAF presence calmed the nerves of the civilian tourists. To the service personnel within the convoy it was as expected. Clear, direct and simple. Keep to the plan, unless events made that impossible, then stay calm, use your brain and follow any new directions given. Though the convoy was obviously British Forces led with plenty of Royal Air Force and Military insignia on display as well as the Union Jacks, there was not a single weapon visible.

All of this might have resulted in a serious and apprehensive mood, but somehow the warm sunny morning, the sea of red, white and blue as hundreds of Union Jacks flapped gently, allied to the positive tone set by the convoy leader, combined to engender a slightly patriotic mood, making it feel more like an ongoing and exciting adventure. At least for the kids. Alex could imagine himself re-telling the story to his mates and hopefully Kate. Though he imagined everyone would have similar tales to tell. Hopefully Kate had been safely at home in Akrotiri the whole time, nowhere near any danger. While these thoughts flitted through his head he could see boys and girls his own age and younger grinning from ear to ear as the convoy slowly began to form as it left the car park and wind its' way out of the camp. He wondered what they might all be thinking. Moving slowly in a convoy of nearly a hundred vehicles meant it would probably take ten minutes or so between the first and last vehicles leaving the camp gates.

Their white Peugeot 404 estate was near the front of the convoy, so positioned to ease the planned splitting of the convoy. When they neared the south coast the smaller front portion would head East for Limassol and Berengaria, whilst the larger part turned westwards towards Episkopi and Akrotiri. The roads on the mountain were still quiet and the convoy progressed without incident down to Platres where another group of service families were ready with their cars suitably adorned to join at the rear, the escorting vehicles managing the process smoothly.

They met the first roadblock a few miles further on, several armoured vehicles and lorries arranged across the road, manned by a combination of perhaps twenty armed Cypriot National Guardsmen and irregulars. From their position the Berresfords held their breath as they saw the three lead Landrovers stop short of the roadblock and the officer in charge climb slowly from his seat, adjust his blue RAF beret, take off his sunglasses and walk purposefully toward what appeared to be the individual in charge of the roadblock. Too far away to hear anything, they watched with breath held. What appeared a friendly exchange continued for a short while, with several gestures back and forth, before the Cypriot in charge turned and called to the men behind him. The large armoured vehicles pulled slowly back to the very edge of the road with thick black diesel smoke billowing from their huge exhausts, giving enough room for the convoy to pass. The RAF officer acknowledged the act, remaining where he was, as he waved back to the new lead Landrover which pulled slowly into the middle of the road and led the convoy through without incident.

The convoy continued towards Limassol making steady progress, passing several more smaller armed groups who made no contact, moving well clear of the road as the convoy approached. The obvious and large Union Jacks, not to mention the British Military personnel, having the desired effect. Allowed to progress unhindered, the convoy had grown in size as several British tourists had joined, as well as a bus load of nervous Israelis on holiday and one fraught servicemen with his wife who was nine months pregnant and due any day.

The Berresfords small section of the convoy eventually reached the closed gates of RAF Berengaria early afternoon to be met by another significant RAF Police and RAF Regiment presence.

The closed gates. This small detail made everything feel very different to Alex. Though at times he had seen the single red and white traffic barrier in the down position alongside the small guard hut, he had never before seen the gates to Berengaria closed or even realised there were actual gates. Even worse he saw a large group of local Turkish Cypriots held back from the gates. He recognised many from the village just up the road. Several worked on camp, including their own maid Betty, or Bahia in Turkish. He had no idea how their own world had been turned upside down already, but they seemed desperate as the small convoy rolled in and the gates swung closed once more.

As well as the RAF Police, the designated sector warden for BG met the convoy. He was in communication with the Station Defence Liaison Officer based at Unicorn House in Limassol and he provided a very quick update. It was safe to return to their homes and stay in BG for the moment, but each family was to pack a small number of cases (one between two people) with basic clothes and be ready to leave the camp at one hours' notice. And to keep the Union Jacks handy.

As soon as Alex heard the Sector Warden talking about being ready to evacuate at an hours' notice, he immediately leapt forward wondering where they'd go. He quickly convinced himself it would be Akrotiri. It was bigger than Episkopi and must have more space. It had to be Akrotiri. He had no idea how it would all work, but somehow he made the leap and could see them all being assigned to Kate's house in Queen's Street and Kate .....

"Oy, Ground Control to Alex. Stop your day dreaming and get out of the car, we need to sort out what gear goes in our suit case." 

Simon jabbed Alex, bringing him back to the present.

* * *

They had eaten nothing since breakfast. Fran was practical and no-nonsense. She checked the fridge and freezer and judged they should use up whatever they had. By lucky coincidence it was Friday once more and most of the ingredients for curry were available. It was simple, tasty, filling and could feed the six of them easily and more if required. Six soon became twelve as friends and immediate neighbours congregated in the kitchen to help Fran. They prepared a huge chicken curry as Fran directed kitchen operations, at least they'd all have a good meal inside of them whatever the morrow might bring.

And the morrow brought more trouble. For the people of Cyprus it was the sort of trouble from which there could be no going back, not even to the fractured and tenuous peace of recent years.

* * *