Chapter 5 : What's in a Name? (With A Little Help From My Friends)

True, the name BG Boot Boys implies more than a few scrapes, but the name itself was more for show and it did have a cool and slightly intimidating ring to it. In culture as in most things, the British ex-pat and Forces community in Cyprus lagged a couple of years behind the times compared to the UK.

Even so, the early 70's was still the era of skinheads, suedeheads, boot boys and other similar derivative groups. The BG lads had no interest in the ideas often and, in the main wrongly, attributed to the skinhead movement and similar but latter popular movements. For them the link was a shared love of Motown, soul, reggae, ska, two-tone music, football and the coolest clothes of the time. They also loved the idea of being young rebels. But to be honest, given the freedoms and simple but relaxed lifestyle they enjoyed, there was little to rebel against in Cyprus. Even so, in the context of the safe micro-community in which they lived, it set them slightly apart and gave their little group an unexpected edginess and aura, plus a little grudging peer respect.

The limitation of any such minor rebellion was immediately visible in hairstyles. Rebels or not, they were part of the forces community and normal parental controls and discipline still applied, meaning most of the gang sported hairstyles ranging from short back and sides through to shoulder length locks, plus of course Dan's unruly mop of hair. They all wanted the latest clothes to mirror their UK counterparts; from Doc Martens, brogues, loafers, Levi jeans, Fred Perry polo shirts through to Ben Sherman check or Brutus shirts, Sta-Prest or two-tone trousers. Even a few Harrington jackets and Crombies surfaced in the coldest days of mild Cypriot winters. In fact even the taste in music was not limited. Will was a rocker at heart, an underground fan who listened to more Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Zeppelin than Motown. The British Forces Broadcasting Service or BFBS radio service did its best but the range of music was severely limited so everyone listened to pretty much whatever new music they could get their hands on.

Of those present Nige and Ned were the odd men out. Neither were true gang members. Nige was a big, gangly lad who lived in Episkopi, the son of a teacher at St. Johns' who wasn't too keen on football, but normally a good laugh if a bit reckless.

Ned was a loner. Odd, prickly and definitely not the sharpest lad around. He had no real friends though most people were scared of him, which could come in handy. A cautious wariness around Ned was understandable, given he liked a scrap and you never quite knew what he was thinking or when he might kick-off. Even the younger British forces guys steered clear of him. Strangely he had a bit of a hero worship thing about Simon. Perhaps because Simon never appeared scared of anyone, let alone Ned, though he was much smaller and slighter than him in build. In Simon's apparent contempt for all authority Ned had found a kindred spirit, though one more able and ready to articulate his thoughts. As a result, Ned had started hanging round the edges of the group, never seeming to expect recognition or acceptance, happy to have something he was part off, if only peripherally.

Befitting the laid back nature and individual styles, the gang had no formal leader. By unspoken and natural agreement Simon, Alex's elder brother, normally took the lead. Everyone had their say, but routinely things just went in his direction. Alex's Mum often bemoaned both the lack of independent thought, as well as the drain on the Berresford larder, when half a dozen lads descended on the Berresford home for breakfast on a Saturday morning. Often they simply waited aimlessly around until Simon got out of bed, only then could they decide on the plan for the day ahead.

The gang were a diverse bunch. At seventeen Simon was neither the oldest, biggest (actually he was small and wiry), toughest (that would be Johnny H by a mile), loudest (Ryan) or nastiest (Ned). Simon was the sharpest, if not the most academic (that being Will), and without doubt was the best footballer by some distance. Though harder to pin down, he had a compelling and rebellious nature allied to an absolute air of self-confidence. Simon wore his straight light brown hair down to his shoulders and had a wispy moustache. He was popular with nearly every one, a natural leader and advantageously for Simon, fancied by most of the girls in the upper school.