Chapter 1: Upstairs at Scotti's (I Say A Little Prayer)

Alex took a deep breath, absently nodding to himself, steeling himself for whatever the next few minutes held. He moved up close behind his older brother Simon.

Heart thumping, focussed on his brothers back, he couldn't believe they had got themselves into this mess. Only twenty minutes ago the banter had been flowing and they'd been planning a great night out, how had it descended into this nightmare? In the blink of an eye, it had escalated far beyond the type of normal teenage scrapes and confrontations he'd been involved in.

They'd always been ninety percent bluster, indignation and chest thumping. Add a little intimidation, a few ridiculous threats, brash counter threats, insults and witty comebacks and by then the worst was normally over. Alex knew he'd used his sharp but quick wit to talk himself into and then out of trouble more than once and he knew he wasn't alone.

These simple and well understood truths, allied in no small part it's true, to the well-earned reputation of his older brother and mates to back up such words with direct action when necessary, meant Alex had never before been caught up in the middle of a real all-out brawl. Even when caught up in playground scuffles, he'd never been beaten up. Afraid that thought would take control and freeze him in place he quickly qualified it with an ironic smile - except by Simon of course. But that didn't really count. Every boy with an older brother, no matter how close, must have received at least a few friendly punches, bumps, bruises and black eyes along the way.

It now seemed inevitable that the welcome fact of never having taken a beating was about to be dispatched to the past tense.

Bottom line, Alex was shit scared. There was no denying it. But not only at the thought of taking a few punches. Distracted briefly from his dark crystal ball gazing as he felt his mates nudge right up behind him, he turned to see first Ryan and right behind him was Ned. He shuffled even closer to Simon and the four concertinaed, one short step from the top of the stairs. Alex knew his best mate Dan and three other mates in the second group would be equally tense and ready right behind them.

Awaiting Simon's next move, the noise of the restaurant around him faded into the distance. As his heart pounded Alex realised it wasn't the physical pain he was most afraid of. He was terrified he'd let Simon and his mates down. He had no idea how he might react, deciding simply to try to follow the plan and keep his head down.

The wooden stairs led steeply down at a right angle to the front of the restaurant, finishing just two yards from the main double glass doors. For now, bunched as they were at the top of the stairs, they were hidden from the large and growing group of local lads outside who were baying for their blood. There was nothing more to be said.

Simon turned confidently and nodded once sharply. Keeping touch tight, the eight boys raced down the wooden stairs, sixteen mainly boot clad feet creating an almighty clatter as they did so. Diners downstairs turned as one at the almighty racket. Simon barely slowed as he reached the bottom step, turned 90 degrees to his left, barging open the double doors as he did so and taking his first step onto the wide pavement .......