Chapter 2: Aphrodite's Isle (I Second that Emotion)

The first RAF Akrotiri Youth Club disco of spring. A pretty big deal.

Well, it was to 15 year old Alex Berresford. And he wasn't alone. Most of the British teen population living with their families in the large British military community in South West Cyprus agreed with him and would be there.

Alex loved life his in Cyprus. Why wouldn't he? A beautiful rugged island, perfect weather, nigh on year round sunshine, a life lived outdoors, great beaches, sports for every season, great mates, loads of girls his own age and the freedom to enjoy it all. Not to mention cheap, simple but excellent food, relaxed and friendly local Greek and Turkish Cypriots and short school days.

If Alex could only get Kate Black to go out with him it would be perfect.

Which provided Alex with the answer to his own rhetorical question. What was not to love about Cyprus?

Simple: Tristan Snetterton-Moss. Kate's current boyfriend. To be accurate Tristan wasn't actually in Cyprus but that was just being picky.

The thought didn't deflate Alex for long. School had just broken for Easter and tonight was the big disco. The Youth Club in Akrotiri would be packed, kicking off a glorious two week Easter break, marking the beginning of spring. More than that it served as a signpost for the long hot summer to come, which for Alex and British teenagers living across the beautiful island of Aphrodite's birth, held unique promise; virtually unlimited opportunity and freedom to explore and enjoy the golden island.

Despite the troubles of the 1960's and the long term turbulent history of the island, for the vast majority of British service personnel and their families, Cyprus was simply a dream posting.

Still, who could know what the summer of 1974 held for everyone living on the island nestled at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea.