Lethal Misfits (16)

Start from the beginning

He nodded, ''I guess we should leave.''

''No! We still have few floors left-''

''What good would that do? If these people are around for such a long time they are bound to know Steve. We can't waste time Iris, please try to understand.'' I bit my lip, trying hard to hide my disappointment. My worst fears were true now, coming here didn't help and we failed to find our next lead.

''Hey,'' Johnny put a firm hand on my shoulder, ''its okay. There are still a lot of things you can do.'' I nodded and followed him to the elevator which groaned and clacked as he punched the bottom with a giant G on it,

I leaned against the half cracked mirror and sighed, wondering when this chase will end. I laughed at myself for having such silly thought. We weren't even started yet and I had already grown wary. Johnny mimicked my expression but he didn't look exhausted. I reminded myself he was used to doing these kinds of sneaky things and chasing stuff. Sometimes I wonder how he felt having to tag along with me. Was it weird? Was he constantly scolding himself for make the wrong decision? Or was it the opposite and he was pitying me? It was hard to sneak into his thoughts - he was never open about things unless he was in mood.

Damn it all. Why was I contemplating Johnny thoughts at time like this? I was supposed to find another way to solve this situation. I was supposed to focus on Steve Bradley and find any information about him.

''I know you don't wanna doubt Kenji, but there's a chance that he did made a mistake,'' I told Johnny, wishing he would consider the possibility and wont start with his don't-assume-shit theory, ''this is technical stuff Johnny, he might have slipped a digit or two.'' I finished lamely.

He rubbed his chin and nodded, ''I know what you're saying is right. But it's not possible. This is the only apartment building in this area. The housing society is about twenty minutes away from here. Even if he slipped a digit or two, a mistake this huge is not possible.''

''But-''

''You might think I'm arrogant or whatever, but I am hundred percent sure Kenji didn't made a blunder. This is the place we were looking for.''

I slammed my fist against the elevator's door, ''What went wrong then?!'' Johnny wasn't fazed by my outburst, ''I asked so many people. My feet are sore from running all over the place and not a single fucking person knows a guy called Steve fucking Bradley! I didn't came here for nothing I-''

I paused as he stood straighter and grabbed my arm, stopping me from hitting the door anymore. It opened but neither of us moved. I watched mindlessly as he punched a button again and we were moving up.

''What do you think you're doing?'' I demanded

He dropped my arm and clasped his hand together, ''I think you're right...''

''Huh?'' It seemed like he was having some kind of revelation or enlightenment, I backed away feeling more frustrated,

''His name, maybe he changed his name when he lived here!'' He concluded, grinning brightly, as if he had just plucked an apple from the highest tree in the backyard.

''You mean he was using a different alias?''

He nodded clapping his hands again, was an expression of excitement for him? ''Yes! We have to consider other possibilities as well. Since he's such a shady bastard, there has to be chance he changed his name when he lived here. You grandparents were rich weren't they?''

I nodded, ''obviously''

''Then it's impossible for this to be his original home. Now I'm sure he was using another name. We've been asking for Steve Bradley. But we were wrong because nobody called Steve Bradley had been here.''

Lethal Misfits  ✅On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara