Cherrybite- Miss forbidden 7

Calzone <8bite

The city lights rolled overhead and shone through the sunroof, caressing the inside of Calzone's car like a seedy solicitation. Plenty of that went on too...though not so much as this time of night. The phone mounted to the dashboard had been calling for fifteen rings, and still hadn't rolled over to voicemail. Calzone reached up to his Bluetooth earpiece to hang up. But just as his finger made contact, someone on the other end picked up.

"Who the hell is this?" a young man said groggily. "You any idea what time it is?"

"Sorry to wake you sir. This is Assistant Chief Gordon Calzone from Bridgeton PD. Am I speaking to Julian Arundel?"

"Yeah that's me. What's this about?" Julian's voice was flat, evidently he had been woken up and his reaction was genuine; he didn't seem to have any idea why the police might be calling. For a moment Calzone wondered if Porter had been right, and that Nate was actually with him, and that maybe he had just told Nate's father she wasn't in a tactless attempt to cover their 'activates'.

"I understand you were with Nate Chantilly tonight." Calzone said, retaining his matter-of-fact tone.

"Yeah yeah, until she took off on me. Her dad already called, and I told him I don't know where she went."

"What had happened just before she disappeared Mr Arundel? Even if it doesn't seem important it may prove useful."

"Hell man, nothing happened. We saw a movie, we got out, I went to the kiosk to get a drink and she waited outside. I came out a few minutes later and she was gone. I don't know if she was pissed at me or what, but that's how it goes with these rich fucking daddies girls. She probably didn't like that she didn't have my undivided attention for like, two fucking minutes, and ran off to a friends house for some bitch-about-guys pyjama party or some shit."

Calzone was somewhat taken aback by the tirade. Was this guy trying to lay an exaggerated cover for himself, or was he genuinely that much of a tool?

"What were your movements after that, Mr Arundel?" he asked calmly.

"I went for a few drinks, then just headed back to my place."

"Can anyone vouch for you?"

"Yeah, I was with someone. Steph Tiddiman."

"I see," Calzone hummed, starting to get a clearer picture of how this guy operated. "and how would I get in touch with her?"

"Well she works the kiosk at the Pavilion," Julian spat down the phone, as though he was getting annoyed with the questions directed at him, "but she's right here if you want to speak to her now."

Calzone thinned his lips. That pretty much answered his question; this guy really was that much of a tool. His girlfriend was missing and he was brazenly admitting to the investigating policeman that he was in bed with someone else. It was at times like this that it was difficult to keep dispassionate.

"That won't be necessary sir. I'd be grateful if you could keep your phone on for a few days in case we need to get in touch again. Otherwise that's all, thanks for your time."

"Yeah right, no problem."

The call ended. Unbelievable, he thought to himself. But at least he had eliminated one line of enquiry. For now. Which mean he could not eliminate that whoever was speaking on that tape hadn't taken Nate. As it stood, that possibility remained, as did the sickening knot in his gut. He was acutely aware of the time drifting by, counted down with each subsequent orange streak of street-light that brushed through the car. It was like the city tapping on his shoulder, mocking him, saying 'you won't find her...you won't find any of them'.

Nate <8bite

Your friend at the cinema," he said, "did he not 'will' you to be safe? Was your own 'will' not enough to make it so?"

Nate stared at where his mouth should be yet more perplexed at his words. What did he mean- Of course Julian wanted her to be safe, Julian could protect her, would of protected her given the chance. Though at the same time Nate felt a loss of ebullience towards the idea of Julian keeping her safe.

Where had Julian been when she needed him most but then this man, this dark shadow spoke of her own will, would she even be here if she’d only gone with him, would she be here if Julian had stayed, would he of attacked if someone else had been there- another man.

"Is that why you were with him? he continued to pry. "Did you hope that his will would be stronger? Strong enough to keep you safe?"

Nate was startled by the concepts that sprang to her mind at a time of turmoil where the last thing she wanted to think about was why she was here.

Her shifty feet slowed apprehensively her body rocking back and then forth ever so slightly, made anxious in a separate form by the questions.

Julian had always been on the football team, always strong, always handsome, always swooned over by the girls that surrounded her, naturally she felt privileged to be labelled his partner. To say openly that’s my man and have other female eyes wallow on her enviously when his strong arms would take her waist from behind and drag her into his chest, a chest of rock muscle that she relied on without hesitation. 

Muscle was not will.

“Of course enough” she murmured her hush tone perhaps a subtle hint she didn’t like these questions, but what was there to like about any of this.

She was cast between darkness and a false sunset glow, in a cold damp room, no natural light, no obvious escape from where she stood and a silhouette that imposed danger and fear upon her without a single visible weapon in hand. Like a black widow,  you knew it was deadly but there was no way of visibly proving how deadly… until it bit you.

“He’s my boyfriend- enough to stop you” she added hastily though it was in the least confidence faced with someone so impassive. Julian was sturdy enough. He would of stopped this from happening if he had the chance. He was probably looking for her now she assured herself, her father too, they’d all be looking, searching for her. If she had any idea where she was it might of even been imposed as some kind of threat.

Nate’s fists before balled and clenched with the intent to inflict damaged went to her arms, she rubbed them consciously wanting Julian to be here now, to be in front of her and to beat this guy down just to prove he was stronger, to prove he was a good partner.