Cherrybite- Miss forbidden 18

Dawn <8bite

Dawn switch the light on and watched as the light illuminated the room, but then a loud knock on the door made her jump and almost fall onto her back. Steadying herself, she paused, maybe they didn't know she was in, she didn’t feel like speaking with anyone this evening, all Dawn wanted to do was curl up and hide somewhere. "Miss Chantilly," he said, "we've had some news about your sister, Calzone's sent me to take you down to the station." Dawn felt her heart leap in her chest, there was news concerning Nate. She briskly walked to the door, took a deep breath in and open the door. She gazed up at the man in front of her, but the shadow cast by the house obscured his face.

"W-what's happened?" she asked looking at him, before blushing slightly and realising her eyes were still red from all the crying she had been doing.

Callum <8bite

When Dawn opened the door, the man produced an authentic looking identification badge.

"Well I'd be wrong to get your hopes up," he said, "but we've had some important information in, and the chief's gone to follow up on it. Your dad's still down at the station, he reckoned you'd want to be there if there were any major developments. We ought to go right now."

Callum tried hard not to smile. The police impersonation trick had proved so useful many times before, but there was a particular thrill in how it intertwined with the bigger situation so neatly this time. And the sight of Dawn was everything he'd hoped for as well. She was young, of course. But even so, there was a hint in her eyes of the spirit and strength he'd seen in Nate, though in Dawn it was clearly heavily battered and brought down by the trauma of losing her sister. It would be interesting to see how that strength rallied when the two of them saw each other again.

He stepped to the side and ushered her towards his car. It was not an actual squad car, but having shown her the badge he hoped that she would be willing to assume it was merely an unmarked vehicle. He was able to talk his way out of difficult questions, of course, but time was absolutely crucial. He knew that the reality was they wouldn't keep Dawn's father down at the station forever.

Calzone <8bite

Calzone was once again driving towards Rosenhayn, with Mr Chantilly in the passenger seat. The poor guy was obviously exhausted, and the best Calzone could hope was that the questions he'd had to answer tonight had kept his mind on the constructive nature of the investigation, rather than slipping into the defeatist mindset that could so easily arise from the negligible response to the recorded appeal.

His phone rang, and at first he simply ignored it, not wanting to worry his passenger with anything the person on the other line might have to say. But when the caller persisted for six rings, he quickly fitted his Bluetooth and mumbled an apology to Mr Chantilly before answering.

"Calzone."

"Hi it's Elena Forrester from forensics, got something I thought you might like to know."

"Go ahead."

"That green stone you found in the cinema car-park - it's not a natural material, it's actually plastic."

"Plastic?"

"Yes. We've run it through a database and basically what you've brought us is a piece of artificial decorative shingle, like they use on grave memorials."

Calzone knew the sort of thing Forrester was talking about, and his mind went into overdrive trying to suppose what it might mean.

"That's great, anything else you can tell me about it? Anything you found on it?"