Chapter 53

Chapter 53

"Excuse me—," Elijah stood up, pushing his chair back.

"Sit down." Harry demanded.

"I forgot my phone in the car—,"

"Sit the fuck down, Elijah." Harry snapped, giving him a glare. Elijah swallowed hardly, a tight expression over his features as his emotions fought their way out. "You can't be missing from my most special day, you are my pal." He said, patting El gently on the back as he took a seat.

Elijah reached for his glass of wine and took a long swing. I could feel his love turning into stone with each second that passed, his entire podture growing stiff and pressed with negative emotions that he couldn't express. It was an inner battle I put him through and I felt guilty for it.

"If it wasn't for you, I would've never had the chance of having her in our team. You helped us get out of that prison. Thank you for that." Harry said with true gratefulness, a unique, loving smile I had never seen before, stretched on his face.

I felt even more guilty at the fact that a few minutes ago, Elijah and I were making out in the elevator. Rocket sent me a small smile, that I wasn't expecting to receive from him. I forced back one and emptied the rest of my glass, the sweet liquid warning up my throat.

"It would be a great honor for you to be my best man." Harry carried on, making Elijah chuckle humorlessly and shake his head, eyes constantly changing places.

"That's...that's - I don't know what to say, really..." Elijah chuckled again, shaking his head and staring at the glass in front of him. "It would be a shame, after everything we've been through, not to accept and stand by your side on your most special day."  he said, finally looking Harry in the eye.

Harry's smile stretched even more, his entire face glowing. He patted Elijah once again and nodded, dimples curved into his cheeks. "You're a real one, El."

"I'm happy for you." Elijah carried on, making me furrow my brows in slight confusion. He sounded too normal, too controlled, too casual, as if the news didn't affect him at all. "Really, you're finally settling for something that you deserve. Because you and Rosalia," he looked at me, sending my heart over the edge, "You deserve to be with each other."

The last words didn't feel like a wish, it sounded more like a curse. Elijah didn't seem happy at all as he stared at me, the inner struggle becoming more visible. Harry raised his glass in the air towards me and everyone took a sip from their wine. I didn't have any more wine so I just smiled, forcing myself not to look at Elijah, who had his jaw clenched tightly and his eyes focused on his glass.

"There is nothing in this world that I appreciate more than loyalty." Harry said honestly, looking at all of us with a small smile. "Truly, I am thankful for your services all this time."

The bodyguards, along with Elijah, nodded their head in respect. I drank more wine to collect all the courage I needed to get over this lunch. Glancing at the clouded sky, I never felt more desperate for a ray of sunshine.

"With my brain and your skills, we can make the world not only fear us but follow us, too. It would be an amazing opportunity to build an empire of our own. The world needs more authenticity these days. People are affected but social media and 'prototypes', innocent people are dying by the police's guns and no justice is served, the Earth is dying and nobody really gives a shit, wars keep happening, children are dying out of diseases while rich people buy 4 Lamborghinis and Libitum heels."