Chapter 37

• Chapter 37 •

The panic washing over me along with the icy cold water had me swimming towards the surface with a racing heart. I gasped for air the moment my head came above water, hair stucked all over my cheeks. I looked around me, the loud sirens and multiple officers aiming at me from the port with their pistols had me freezing for a second. My eyes met familiar, worried green ones that wasn't Harry's.

I inhaled deeply and got underwater, the bullets zooming in through the water. I hissed when a bullet scratched my arm, the burn instantly cooled down by the coldness of the water. A small scream erupted my lips when the second bullet hit the same arm, the burn growling fonder. Due to the blur of the infinite dark blue, I could barely make out where I was swimmimg to.

The ringing of the bullets swimming around me had my heart pumping rapidly with anxiety. Harry. I need to find him. Where the hell would he go so fast? If anything happened to him, I will go insane. The gunshots coming from above the water sounded so  loud, but the sound was like cannons bursting. My clothes heavied me down but I couldn't stop swimming away from the police. It's either drowning, being arrested or escaping. The last option was tempting.

I reached the wooden bottom of the port and pulled myself up. I breathed heavily above water, blinking constantly the sour sting in my eyes. I reached the top of the port to pull myself up, when a hand wrapped around my wrist. I almost screamed when half of my body was risen up the port, my eyes locking with dark brown ones that assured security.

“Elijah,” I choked as he grabbed me by the back of my jacket and pulled me further up the port.

“Let’s go.” he grumbled, helping me stand to my wet feet.

I could still hear the cops in the distance coming closer. One glance over my shoulder told me Logan was leading the FBI team, running faster than the others, eyes focused on me. My heart literally stopped beating when I searched for Harry nearby the cops but I couldn't find him anywhere.

“Harry — where is he?!” I shrieked, struggling to speak due to my sore throat.

Elijah opened the back door of his Jeep and threw me inside, slamming the door loudly. It didn't take too long for bullets to reach the Jeep, making me fall on my side and cover my head with my arms. I heard Elijah hiss once he sat in the driver's seat, slamming on the gas and bringing the car back on the road.

I sat up, hair all over my face, bullets hitting the car from our left side. Elijah’s hand that held the wheel was covered in blood, his face scrunched in pain. I leaned between the two front seats and peered at his shirt, only to see blood coming out.

“You're hurt.” I gushed, looking intently at him.

“Take the gun and shoot at them.” Elijah demanded, completely ignoring my words, seriously staring at the road.

I grabbed the gun that was on the passenger's seat and did as I was told. Shooting at the cops through the window, I could feel my body growing weaker. My arm was bleeding, the wound on my thigh kept throbbing and the coldness that my skin soaked had me shivering constantly. Although I managed to get a few cops to move out of the way, I felt  overwhelmed.

“I can't.” I sighed in defeat when my arms wouldn't let me aim properly.

“Hold on, I got this.” Elijah said as I slouched down in the back seat.

He kept driving for a while, taking long sudden turns in order to escape, until we got into a parking lot. Everything turned dark around us and I sat up in confusion, only to find an empty parking lot with one red Renault car left. Elijah stopped the Jeep and looked back at me with stressed eyes.