Chapter 23

• Chapter 23 •

It was impossible not to bump onto someone as everyone was going absolutely lunatic in the hallways. Wherever I looked, wold prisoners were running, screaming because of the bullets piercing their flesh, attacking cops, or lying down on the floor, dead. I tried to hold myself from losing it as well when bullets zoomed in by my ears, dangerously whispering to me.

The anxiety and fear running through my veins was indescribable, but Harry’s hand pulling me firmly along with him kept me focused on our purpose. Every time he shot someone, I felt like he was losing his humanity even more. We had to push prisoners off our way to get swiftly away from the cops’ gun range and it had started to piss me off how some prisoners didn't even consider to runaway, they just wanted to shed blood.

“Get the psychos!” one short prisoner with blood on his teeth shouted, pointing his bat towards us.

In that moment, I noticed how many of them were. The further end of the hallway on the left was fully crowded and I could hear the cops running down the stairs from the right side. Harry stood straight up confidently, the serious, devil face still crossing his sharp features like he has just seen someone he absolutely hated with all his might. I looked at the mindless men staring at us like hungry lions, holding their bats or stolen guns from dead cops. None of them looked sincere; there was an obvious hate towards us for unexplainable reasons.

“If you dare to touch one hair from her, I'll rip your heart out.” Harry threatened coldly, voice strong and authorative.

Instantly, goosebumps rose all over my body. The man that I had just witnessed killing four people and laughing at their unrecognized faces wanted to protect me so badly that I couldn't explain how I felt in that moment. Kinda grateful, kinda scared.  Looking at the side of his cold stone face, I could just see so much darkness around and inside of him, it really makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing by - kinda -  trusting him.

The fear on everyone’s faces was crystal clear and hilarious. No laughs were heard, however, when the footsteps of the cops came closer and guns started firing. In that moment, it was like everyone backed down, canceling their decision on making q move on us. Harry pulled me over the corner and we started running, the screams behind us escalating. It was phenomenally strange how those prisoners wanted to hurt us and despite having the chance to do it, they all backed down. Harry has a lot of power, indeed.

Strong burn pierced through my skin as a bullet striked the back of my thigh, forcing a scream out my mouth. I dropped to my knees, Harry instantly coming to a halt and tightening his grip on my hand, holding me straight up from falling.

“Shit,” he grumbled, giving me a worried look as he bent over me.

“Fuck.” I hissed, glancing over my shoulder at the running cop.

“Come on, we have to keep moving,” he urged through the loud gunshots.

I shrieked from the burn of the bullet into my flesh as I tried to stand up, the ringing of the bullets cutting the air around me sending sparks of anxiety through my body. Harry came over from behind me to cover me from the incoming bullets, his arms snaking behind my legs to pull me up. Looking past Harry’s shoulder, my heart momentarily freezing when the running cop came to an abrupt halt, his head snapping backwards, blood busting out his skull and lastly, his body dropping loudly on the floor.

Harry turned his head to see behind him, both me and him shocked when we saw the man that shot the cop from behind. Zayn stood at the end of the hallway, lowering his gun slowly, his caramel eyes full of adrenaline and serenity. An odd satisfaction flooded through my body.