Chapter 34

• Chapter 34 •

Running down the stairs to get to the dark basement, Harry's hand was tightly holding mine, assuring me of protection and care. My body seemed to warm up by his side, his broad shoulders towering over me to shield everything terrible away from me. The moment we reached the basement, the door was open, leading us to a dark underground hallway that had me blinking in disbelief.

Harry lead me down the hallway. At the end of it, I could see car lights shining at a large iron gate, guards moving around like shadows. Harry increased his pace, dragging me along with him, my wound slightly aching. I pinched my lips together when we reached the Jeeps, my eyes momentarily locking on Elijah’s before he jumped in one of the cars, looking stressed. Harry pulled me to a different Jeep, our driver and two guards already inside, waiting for us. Harry was given a pistol, the sight of it in his hand making my heart shake.

“Sir, we are ready,” one of the guards informed Harry from the passenger’s seat, looking back at us.

“Let’s go.” Harry demanded sharply, wearing his black airpods before he let his free large hand hold my knee firmly.

Instantly, the driver pressed on the gas, sending us forward. The gates opened, revealing the stary sky and dark greenland surrounding us. “Lights off.” Harry demanded and the lights of the Jeeps went off.

I turned to look at the Jeep behind us, my heart hammering wildly inside my chest when I saw the hidden tunnel that lead towards Harry’s basement. This man has thought of everything...I neared towards the window, seeing the helicopter land in the backyard, lifting up a strong circle of wind around it. Harry’s grip tightened on my knee, making our eyes connect.

“Do you like fireworks?” he asked me, a playful smirk decorating his lips.

I furrowed my brows, stunned with his question. “Uh—,“

Before I could reply, a loud explosion was heard, making me jump in my seat and look outside the window. My heart froze behind my ribs when I saw the entire mansion on fire, along with the trees and probably the helicopter. Fireworks were also shooting towards the sky, brightening the dark moment. A strong wave of fear rolled through me at the thought that maybe Logan or Cane was there. Harry laughed evily, the sound snapping me out of my shock.

I turned to look at his amused handsome face, his body lazily slouching in his comfortable leather seat of his Jeep. “I love an outstanding exit, don't you?” he asked me, raising his brows.

I looked at his excited face, trying to process how cold he is inside. This man is dangerous as fuck. There is no way he can actually feel anything for anyone, not even me. My heart fell down to my stomach, my skin ice cold. Cane and Logan were right. He isn't to be trusted. I can't rely on this man, he can't feel anything.

“The maids? Did they leave b-before—,“

“They would snitch on me no matter how much I paid them. They're too scared to go to jail.” he replied casually, reasting his arm over the back of his seat.

I blinked, my heart scratched by the harsh truth that came straight up to my face. He burned the house with the maids inside. I moved away from his hand, making it slide down my knee and fall on the spot of the seat between us. I leaned closer to the window, looking outside, a deep frown on my face that I couldn't mask no matter how hard I tried.