Burned

ALEX

Cam pulled away so fast it was almost like I'd burned her. Her eyes were wide with shock and fear.

"I can't do this" she mumbled as she got to her feet. Running her hands through her hair, looking stressed.

"What is it?" I managed, I felt like she'd just punched me through the chest. She paced back and forth for a minute, I could see the cogs in her mind turning as she thought.

"Urgh!" she said, throwing her hands up in exasperation "this is so confusing!"

"Enlighten me would you?" I snapped, losing my patience. She sensed my tone and I could see the hurt in her eyes. That made me just hurt more.

"I like you so much Alex" she said, almost whimpering.

"and that's confusing how?" I asked, softening my tone. I didn't want to hurt her. Not now, not ever.

"I don't know" she said, collapsing on the ground a few feet away from me and holding her head in her hands "I seem to always get hurt when I love anyone, and you just broke up ith Kayla and I don't want to be rebound.... can you understand that?"

"You wouldn't be rebound" I said softly, shuffling across to her.

"You don't know that" she sighed "Listen, I don't want either of us to get hurt by this. So if maybe in a while you feel like you still want to be with me? Then great"

"Okay Cammie" I sighed "that seems fair"

"Thank you, Alex" she smiled, I loved when she said my name "you're the best"

"I know" I tried to joke, she chuckled half heatedly. I put an arm round her shoulders and she moved into her side. She fit perfectly under my chin, I kissed her hair and sighed. I guess I didn't really know how I was feeling but I knew one thing for sure. I loved her. Whether I loved her as a sister or I wanted more I didn't know yet...  

CAMERON

I woke up the next morning and my head was hammering. I groaned and rolled over, yesterdays events were buzzing around in my head. I grabbed my phone from next to me and my yes widened at the time. It was almost 3 in the afternoon.

"Shit" I cursed, sitting up quickly and smashing my forehead on the bunk above me. Pain shot through my head and I almost passed out. After a while of rubbing my forehead and trying not to throw up, I got out of bed. I bumped into Jack on the way to change in the bathroom.

"Hey" I said, completely panicked that I was late for the merch tent "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Alex said you were feeling sick, that's why you went to bed early" he said "So we gave you the day off, Cassadee said she'd work the merch tent"

I smiled "Thanks"

"How are you feeling?" he asked, putting a hand on my forehead "shit, you're burning up"

"I feel like shit, that's for sure" I said, mostly after what happened yesterday.

"Go back to bed Cammie" he said, smiling sympathetically "I have to go to a signing in about a half hour but I'll get you hot chocolate and aspirin"

"Thank you Jack" I smiled. Mentally thanking Alex. I crawled back into my bunk, pulling the sheets around me. Jack came back five minutes later with a slightly cold and lumpy hot chocolate. He couldn't cook to save his life but I drank it anyway and he disappeared off to his signing. I thought of Alex for a while before drifting off to sleep. Would things be awkward between us now? I could barely think straight after that kiss. It was different from any other one I'd had before. He was intoxicating, whenever he touched me it was like I was drunk.