Midlife Crisis

ALEX

I gave Jack a nudge when I saw Cam an Harley giggling together, he looked up at me with a face full of Cammie's chocolate cake. I nodded over at them and Jack grinned, chocolate all over his teeth.

"Dude, close your mouth" I chuckled, Jack flipped me off and then went back to chewing before he spoke.

"I'm glad they're getting along" Jack smiled, spraying cake everywhere. I looked over at him. He's so into this girl.

A lot of drinks later and we were all sitting around in a circle, we were very cliche and we were playing spin the bottle like it was a horny high school party. I was sat with my hand sitting on Cam's thigh. She was perfectly sober, she'd only had a couple beers. I wasn't even drunk, I didn't really feel the need. That made a difference. I watched as Jack leaned forward to spin it and it landed on Harley. She blushed violently but Jack smirked, leaning over the circle to peck her on the lips.

"We never used to play it like this back home" she said, I was only noticing the slight British twist in her accent.

"What do you mean?" Cam asked, sipping the light beer she had in her hand.

"Well, I grew up in Manchester, spin the bottle was more like truth or dare with a bottle in the middle" she said

"Where's the fun in that?" I grinned, giving Cam's leg a squeeze, to which she shifted uncomfortably. The door bell rang and I frowned at Cam, looking round at the circle. Everyone who could come was here.

CAMERON

"I'll get it" I shrugged, getting up from the circle. I walked over to the door and pushed on to my toes to look through the peep hole, a grin split across my face when I saw who it was. "Guys, it's Vinny!" I grinned throwing the door open. He smiled and grabbed me into a hug.

"Cameron!" he laughed "I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Hey! Not to sound rude" I giggled as he put me down "But I thought you said you couldn't come"

"I changed my mind" he shrugged as the guys ran over to hug him. He was smiling at laughing as they all greeted him, I smiled to myself as they did but I still felt a wave of sadness and I then felt guilty about that sadness. He was a lot better after his grandpa's passing, meaning I was so out of a job. I bit my lip to stop from crying, I was so selfish. I could feel myself about to cry, I slipped from the room quickly and ran upstairs to the bathroom. I looked at myself as a tear slid down my cheek. I was hit by an overwhelming and crushing realization that I had no idea what the hell I was doing with my life. I wasn't good at anything, all I could do was sell merch. Now that Vinny's back they don't need me on tour. I felt so lost in my own skin.

"Pull yourself together, Cameron" I whispered, frantically brushing my cheeks to stop crying as my makeup smudged under my hands.

"Cam?" came Alex's voice from behind the door "Are you okay in there?"

"I'm fine" I said but my voice cracked

"Cameron?" he said urgently, the handle twisting "What's wrong? Are you okay? Babe, let me in"

"I'm fine, Alex" I snapped "Go away"

"Please" he said softly.

I sighed, my eyeliner had smudged all the way down my face but I still walked over to the door. I paused before I slowly turned the lock open. Alex looked down at me and his face softened, he reached out and put his hand to the side of my face, his thumb brushing away the tear that was on my cheek.

"What's wrong?" he whispered

"Nothing" I said, shaking my head at the stupid situation I'd got myself in.