Fireworks

CAMERON

Just over a week later we were in Chula Vista, California. Alex seemed perfectly normal, I think he'd finally got round to telling Jack and the guys him and Kayla had broken up. I was happy about that. I didn't want him to be keeping secrets from them. I was sitting at the merch table with my legs in the sun, trying to get anything near a tan. I was inspecting the other tables when I saw a familar figure looking at a tent a few down from mine.

"Cass?!" I called, she turned around and grinned. I stood up and ran round the table and over to her, she pulled me into a hug.

"What are you doing here?" I grinned

"visiting my man" she said "How's merch life treating you?"

"It's great" I said, grabbing her into anothr hug.

Cass spent all the time the guys were on stage and during their signing with me, we talked about everything. Apart from Jen, Cass one one of the closest friends I had. I unloaded everything that had happened with Alex over the last few days on her, she just comforted me, which was nice. I knew there was nothing she could do but it was nice to talk to someone. Not that I hadn't already complained to Jen about it. A lot. Which reminded me I really needed to call her tonight, I'd called her a couple nights after Jack's party and that was a week ago. I'm such a bad friend. Cass dissapeared off with Rian after they got off their signing and it was around 7 that evening, after I closed down the merch table cause no one had bought anything in an hour and they could still get ATL merch at other tables, that Alex came over and dumped a box full of fireworks on the table. He grinned like a 5 year old.

"Should I be worried" I said, raising my eyebrows 

"It's probably better you don't know" he shrugged, starting to load fireworks into his backpack "I found such a cool place behind the Kevin Says stage and I asked an important looking guy if we could set them off there and he said something I didn't really understand and I'm just going to take it that he said yes"

It took me a second to process what he said "right..."

"Well come on then" he laughed, grabbing my hand and dragging me off towards the Kevin Says Stage. I laughed, following him. I was thinking how the hell we were going to get behind that stage. I mean, it was fenced off either side, without leaving the venue I don't know what he had planned.

"So I've been thinking.." Alex started "You're a really good singer, cause I may have heard you in the shower the other day, and you know the words to Remembering Sunday right.."

"Where are you going with this Alex..?" I said slowly

"Would you want to sing it with me on stage?" he said, grinning at me.

"What?" I said, completely puzzled.

"Yeah, I think the fans would love it.." he went on

"You're serious?" I raised my eyebrows

"Yeah" he laughed

"I'll think about it..." I said as we got to the Kevin Says Stage. He smirked and crouched down, pulling back the curtain at the bottom of the stage, revealing criss-crossing metal balances that held up the stage. To my great surprise he started crawling into the stage.

"What the fuck, Alex?" I said, crouching down.

"You coming or not?" he smiled crookedly "Scared?"

I huffed and crawled in after him "I'm never scared" I tried my best to crawl through the bars, I tripped a few times but eventually I made it out the other side. Alex was already there and he held out his hand to help me up. I somehow managed to hit my nose against his chest as he helped me up. 

"Ow" I said rubbing it

"Sorry" he chuckled "I feel like giving everyone a surprise" he said, smiling mischievously and starting to pull out all the fireworks and stuck them into the ground. 

"Lighter?" he asked. It was creepy how much he knew me. I mean, I didn't smoke but I always carried a lighter. I threw it at him and he lit just one before I looked at the side of a particularly menacing looking one

"Uh Alex.." I said slowly "we're supposed to stand 15 feet away from this" I said, shuffling across the grass away from them but my back hit the stage.

"Fuck that" Alex said and grabbed me off the ground and into his arms, pinning me against the back of the stage, using himself as a human shield. My face was buried in his chest but I looked up just in time to see the firework explode in the sky. I looked back down, Alex caught my glance and I blushed. He cleared his throat and stepped away from me, clearing his throat roughly again.

"we'll be fine" he said quietly

"Light up the rest of them?" I asked, trying to difuse the awkward silence. He nodded and ran along the rest, lighting them up as I sat down on the grass. Exploding in the perfectly clear sky in so many colours. I could hear people cheering from the other side of the stage and I laughed.

"I think we should wait a bit before we leave, just so people don't know it was us.." he said, sitting down opposite me. His knees were touching mine, his skin touching mine. I could feel warmth spreading through out my body from the spot our skin touched. It was practically intoxicating.

"How's your nose?" Alex asked, smiling softly at me.

"Pretty sore actually" I said. Alex seemed to be confused for a second before he just leaned over and kissed the end of my nose. I felt my whole face flush, that warm feeling was making me feel dizzy. He had locked my gaze now and I found it impossible to look away.

"Better?" he practically whispered

"Yes" I managed. The humour was suddenly gone and it was intense, the air tasted like elecrticity. Alex moved towards me. I wasn't thinking straight when I did the same, there was a few seconds before our lips met that seemed to be the longest few seconds of my whole life. As soon as they did meet we both leaned in, my hands went into his hair. It felt like something that should of happened years ago and I'd been longing for it this whole time. It was only when his hands went round my waist that I realised what I was doing and pulled away suddenly.

What had I done?