A Bad Thing

I was making Jenna a super strong coffee as she sat on my sofa, when I'd picked her up she was sobbing and couldn't talk. I'd got her back to our house and out of the cold, she was curled up on my sofa. Still sniffing loudly ever now and then and staring off into space. This was not like her at all, every time someone had hurt her she just picked herself up with a toss of her hair and a giggle, after all, they weren't worth her time. I'd never seen her properly hurt. I walked back through, holding her piping hot black coffee. She was a little weird that she liked it volcano heat and looking like tar but hey I wasn't judging right now. 

"Jen..." I said softly, sitting down next to her. She looked at me, still looking totally dazed. I pushed the mug into her hands, which were shaking.

"Thanks" she said quietly, followed by another sniff.

"What happened?" I asked, pulling my legs up on the the couch. I didn't usually do this, Alex's couches were white and stained easily. I'd spilled wine a few years ago, that's why the throw over the back of the chair never moved. I'd actually cried when that happened, it was just me Alex and Jack and I'd felt so guilty, he'd only had the sofas a week. I tried not to smile as I remembered Alex's face as I'd burst into tears and prefusely apologised. He'd just smiled, brushed my hair behind my ear like he always does and told me it was fine, he liked it better with more color. 

"If I tell you what happened" she said after taking a long sip of hot coffee "you have to promise you won't think any less of me"

"Jenna..." I said slowly, she looked up from her coffee and caught my gaze. She always had a power over people, it was her eyes, they were unnaturally blue.

"Please Cam, just promise" she said, her voice becoming desperate

"I promise" I said, Jen nodded "What happened?"

"Zack and I had a really bad fight and I.. I did a really bad thing" she stuttered "I went to some shitty bar and I don't even know how it happened.. some guy started hitting on me.. I just I forgot how it feels, yanno?" she sniffed and ran her hand over her nose  

"How what feels?" 

"Having a guy actually want you" she sighed "Zack and I had never.. yanno..."

"Really?" I asked, I was a little surprised.

"It's weird, right?" she said "he didn't think so, I kept backing up my arguments with you and Alex, I mean you guys have been dating for about a month less than us" she cracked a smile "You're at each other like horny teenagers" I snorted a laugh. She wasn't wrong. "I just, I did a really bad thing..."

"What did you do, Jen?"

"I slept with the guy at the bar" she sighed, downing the rest of her coffee. I didn't even have time to respond because the front door burst open and Alex got dragged though the door by Baz and Pey. 

"Hey sweetheart" he said, putting his jacket up on the coat pegs. That was new, it was usually sweetie, babe or baby and on occasions of extreme affection, Princess. I really cringed at those names but he liked them so I'd stopped argueing about them. "Oh hey Jenna" he smiled

"Hi Alex" she replied, not looking round. 

"I didn't know you were coming over, I'll get out your way" he said, walking over "go back to braiding each others hair but let me know if you're having a pillow fight in your underwear"

"You're such a pervert" I said, he grinned at me

"You love it" he winked, leaning down to peck my lips before disappearing up the stairs. I turned back to Jen who was smiling at the me.

"You guys are perfect" she sighed, shaking her head "I'm really tired, can I stay the night? I'll call Zack in the morning""

Of course" I nodded "I'll get you a pillow and shit" I stood up from the couch and ran up the stairs two at a time. When I got into our room Alex was busy putting on a new shirt. I walked over to the closet to find Jenna some blankets.

"So what happened between her and Zack?" Alex asked, I turned to him with an eyebrow cocked

"How did you know something was wrong?" I asked

"The guy's a mess" he said softly. I felt a tug at my heart, he was a mess just because of a fight, how would he react when he found she'd slept around.

"They just had a fight" I lied. I think it was the first time I'd lied to him. I turned back to the closet so I didn't have to look him in the eyes. I felt an arm snake round my waist and I smiled as he pulled me back into his chest as he nuzzled his face into the side of my neck.

"What?" I giggled

"Nothing" he mumbled, pressing a kiss into my cheek before resting his chin on top of my head "I'm just really glad you're in my life"

"I've been in your life for 10 years Alex" I smiled as his grip tightened around my waist

"Not like that" he said softly, kissing the back of my head "I love you"

"I love you too" I said back without even thinking, I felt him smile into my hair. 

I made up the couch for Jen and Alex lent her one of his shirts he never wore and she curled up on the the couch and went to sleep almost instantly. I smiled and walked up to bed, by the time I got there Alex was already snoring. I crawled into my space, gently reaching over him to turn off the bedside light. I curled up into bed, I wasn't even there for two seconds before I felt Alex snuggle into my back. I smiled to myself as I fell asleep.

I woke up to the front door slamming, I blinked into the sunlight streaming into the room. I'd forgotten to close the curtains last night. Alex was spread out and still sleeping. I yawned and pulled myself from my bed. I padded downstairs to see Jen was gone and there was a post-it note taped to the door. I stiffled a yawn as I pulled it off the door.

Jack called and said him, Zack and Rian are coming over, I don't think I can face him right now. Call me if they leave? -Jenna 

I sighed, crumpling the note in my hand. I didn't want to think about the awkward position I was being put in because I wanted to put Jen first and not be an awful friend but I couldn't help but think where it would leave me if they broke up. I love Jen and Zack, they're both my close friends but would they put me in the middle?

"Morning" I hear Alex say, almost making me jump out my skin. He giggled and I gave him a death stare, which didn't last long with how cute he looked. The hair on the left side of his head was sitting up at awkward angles and he was sleepily rubbing his eyes.

"Morning" I sighed, he cocked his head.

"Are you alright?" he asked, I nodded.

"I'm just worried about Jen" I sighed, Alex lent down and pressed a kiss into my forehead. He brushed my hair off my face and behind my ear, just like always.

"Why do you always brush my hair off my face?" I asked, locking my hands behind his neck as his arms went round my waist. He just shrugged.

"Your eyes are one of my favorite things about you" he mumbled, his cheeks flushing red "I just don't like it when I can't look at them"

"You're such a cheesy fuck" I giggled, leaning up to kiss him. He smiled against my lips as I tugged him closer. This was when Jack decided to throw open our front door without even knocking. He's a fantastic brother. Me and Alex jumped apart.

"Whoops, sorry for interrupting" he said "But please refrain from sucking my sisters face in front of me, Alex"

"Shut up, Jack" I smiled, I kissed Alex once more. Jack made vomiting noises are I ran upstairs to the bathroom for a shower.